CH. 3.3 Rites and Uniting

Cale's jaw dropped at the sheer numbers of Agama who showed up for dawn rites. He was used to it being himself, the priest, and one or two faithful. Priest Kohe and High Priest Kanab merely smiled and carried on as if nothing was unusual. Incense burned in the air, sending tendrils of fragrant smoke everywhere.

A hush had fallen over the crowd. And then, in a mild voice that seemed to carry on the wind, Kanab said, "Faithful followers, thank you for your attendance this fine morning. You are all invited to the uniting ceremony of Sword Master Rake and Dola after noon rites today. It will be held outside The Mercy Tent. Any contributions to the uniting feast will be welcomed."

A low rumble of whispered conversations washed around the field like a wave. The females were discussing the food they would bring while several of the males knew of their Clan Head's refusal of the uniting. Their conversation was serious but there was no hint of rebellion.

"Cale, would you like to tell Sword Master Rake?" The High Priest winked at him.

"Better him than Dola's friends," he replied with a grin. "They will not be happy that the uniting of their friend is rushed."

"Even I am not brave enough to inform them." The High Priest leaned toward Cale and said in a conspiratorial whisper, "My united one is more than brave enough, although she might have some choice words for me later."

Sure enough, an elegant Agama female looked directly at the High Priest and he smiled and waved a nervous little wave. Her fierce look dissolved into a smile and she waved back and left, several other females following her.

"High Priest," Cale said with deference. "Did you plan this and that is why there are so many worshippers for dawn rites?"

Priest Kohe joined them, a perplexed look on his face. He and Kanab exchanged glances.

The High Priest said, "We, and those who are especially sensitive to the presence of the Adversary, could feel him moving in the night. Kohe and I could see nothing happening in camp so we started our prayer vigil. Kohe's acolytes all awakened and joined us. By seeing who attended dawn rites, we now know who the sensitives are in this clan, which pleases me greatly. Now, please go and tell Sword Master Rake."

Cale nodded and dashed off for the sword practice ring. As he neared, he saw the group stood in the middle of the practice ring. Rake and his students all wore their practice fighting gear and held their swords at the ready. They looked like a well-oiled fighting machine, ready for anything. Each scanned the area, looking for enemies.

Cale waved and smiled as he ran to relieve their obvious tension.

Cale stopped in front of Rake and bowed. "Sword Master, High Priest Kanab would like to perform your uniting ceremony today, if that is acceptable."

Rake's hide seemed to glow in the rising sun. His smile was large and sincere and his eyes sparkled with joy. "Of course! Of course!" Rake sheathed his sword and his students did the same. "Now, what do I need to do?" He looked helplessly at Cale. "What do I need to do?"

His two oldest students, adult Agama who were united with children of their own, laid a hand on each of his shoulders. "We will help you Sword Master. Our united ones will know where to obtain the uniting robes for you. Does your promised one need a robe as well?"

Rake wrung his hands. "I don't know. I'll have to ask her. You don't think she's changed her mind about uniting with me, do you? Should I ask her again?"

Cale grinned but wisely suppressed his chuckle at seeing the normally rigid Sword Master so anxious. "The High Priest's united one is taking care of Dola and the feast preparations."