Part 2: Chapter 24

All Might liked to think, he saw his fair share of strange things. He also liked to think, he knew the world of the next generation to a decent extent.

He knew the latest trends and tried to be an upbeat hero that could make every age-range feel comfortable and safe. He done the same research for his role as a teacher too.

However, when he saw Izuku Midoriya - the same villain they captured days ago - holding hands with Uraraka Ochako, All Might didn't know what to think.

Had he missed something? Was it normal for strangers to be holding hands like children, walking home from a long day of school?

Midoriya was the first to notice All Might. He looked up at All Might, which revealed his flustered face - a helpless expression that All Might saw for the first time. And once their eyes met, Izuku quickly shifted his eyes down to the ground.

"All Might!?" Ochako exclaimed with wide eyes, but never did she pry away Izuku's hand.

He stood closely behind her, half of his body hidden away from All Might's view. She glanced back at Midoriya and then made eye contact with their teacher. "Well, um, you see," she wanted to explain herself, but her mind had drawn a blank. That prickling heat overwhelmed her cheeks, ears to her neck as she took concerned glances behind her.

Yet, she never once stepped away from Izuku Midoriya. Something about his vulnerability invoked her motherly instincts; in that sense, she wanted to protect him and his pride, she supposed. People didn't want to show the world that their eyes had swollen from crying them out, their running nose or hear their constant hiccup-breathe-ins.

All Might cleared his throat. Thankfully, Uraraka assumed, he decided to leave the elephant in the room be.

"You're late for class," he said.

Uraraka put a tight-lipped smile on and nodded. She forced out an awkward chuckle.

"Right, yes, I'm sorry." She bowed her head.

"I got some curry spilled on me, so I was going to the office to ask the secretary if there's any spare shirts. But, uh, the bell rang and I met Dek-- Midoriya on the way. Um, yes, we're sorry for being late," she rambled on, adding another forced chuckled at the end.

"It's okay," All Might waved a hand in dismissal, "I'll let the both of you off the hook. After all, I'm late too. Let's all promise to never let this happen again."

He took one final look at the puzzling sight before him before turning away. "You can go get yourself another shirt and come back immediately. See you in class, okay?" Rather than scolding or exclaiming, his voice was gentle.

"I'm leaving young Midoriya in your capable hands."

Uraraka and Izuku watched All Might slowly walk away, watching his back.

Wow, they thought. Truly, he is the former number one hero.

Later that day, Uraraka had gotten herself a spare shirt - a size too big for her. Izuku's eyes dried out and they made a pit-stop to freshen up his face with some cold tap water. Alas, he looked defeated all the way back to class.

She recalled the way he avoided eye contact with Bakugou, staring to his side where no-one could see his face. No-one but Mineta Minori who sat behind him, but he paid no attention to Midoriya - of course. He'd been too occupied with 'Modern Hero Art History'.

School ended and whether good or unsettling, Midoriya began smiling like a perfect doll as he'd always done. He worked on Shinso and Iida's nerves and spoke to those who interested him.

The crescent moon rose and called upon the stars to fill the blank darkness in the sky. Laughter and friendly chatters surrounding the most random topics lasted until late for the night owls in class 1A. Midoriya was one of those night owls; a reason why dark circles deepened under his eyes often. Nightmares and thoughts kept him up every night.

Everybody at the League of Villains slept earlier than him, so he never had company. Here, Shinso Hitoshi had the same sleeping habits. Izuku smiled, rubbing his hands against his bare arms. It's nice to have someone to talk to, I suppose, here at U.A.

And Uraraka.

Izuku replayed the memories of today, when she held his hand and comforted him. He wanted to take her hands in his empty ones every time she stood close to him after that. He liked being around these people.

His smile remained plastered on his face, but his eyebrows knitted and his eyes squinted. Something dropped down into his stomach, an unpleasant feeling following after an unpleasant thought.

What am I even thinking? Am I really considering - do I really, for people I just met?

Izuku shivered, feeling the cold breeze hit him.

"What are you doing outside without a coat?" He heard her voice and then the door, he hadn't noticed opening, being closed.

Izuku shifted his weight in his right arm and turned his body around. He saw Uraraka in her casual clothes or perhaps her sleep clothes. A folded white shirt in her hands caught his attention.

"I wanted to give this back to you personally so I can thank you, but you weren't in your room," she said. "Aren't you cold?"

Izuku nodded. "Very."

Uraraka sat next to him and handed him his shirt with a quick 'thank you'. "Then why aren't you coming inside?" She asked.

Izuku smiled at her. "Maybe I was trying to make an excuse up to hug you."

Uraraka couldn't resist an amused but surprised scoff; she knew he wasn't fully into his little joke though. Under that pretend eccentric attitude, she knew he had something on his mind. "Did you really just say that?"

Izuku chuckled. "Your face was priceless though."

And in response, Uraraka shook her head. A smile lingered on her lips. They sat in the cold, but the atmosphere warm, cozy and quiet.

It gave both of them time to think about the recent happenings throughout the week. From a normal day to the changes, to the troubles they faced and finally, the present.

Izuku inhaled deeply and caught himself sighing absentmindedly.

Uraraka glanced at him, eyebrows creased. "Is something bothering you? I mean, you seem... tense today. You don't need to--"

"Ochako, why do you want to be a hero?"

"Hm?"