C35: Frenemy

<Noel's POV cont'd>

"Rich, I'm begging you"

"I don't know" His voice was raspy on the other end of the line.

I grunted, my hand pressing my phone against my ear. I sat with only the clothes on my back, wallet in my pocket, book in my hand and phone clutched in my hand inside a taxi. We had been roaming the streets for a while, it took me so long to get a hold of Rich but now he was being hesitant.

"You're killing me" I replied.

"You hurt Julian pretty bad, Noel. I'm not sure I should be even talking to you. I feel like I'm violating mine and Julian's friendship"

I rubbed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to control my agitation and not yell at him.

"I know. Countless of times I let him down which is why I have to make it right. Rich, do you want the best for Julian? How many years has he been pining over me? How long as he wanted me to admit that I love him and just stay with him for once? I want to do that. I don't care if you think it's too late, I at least have to give it a shot. So please, tell me where he is" I pleaded, shuffling in my seat.

The line went silent and I anxiously awaited a reply.

"Well I don't actually know but I remember he stayed at Tom's last night. I had dinner with them, they seem on good terms now. Do you know the address? I'll text you the address" Rich finally opened up and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, my man"

I hung up the phone and waited for a text to send through. As I did it suddenly dawned on me exactly what he said. Julian was with Tom, his ex and they were on good terms. What the fuck did that mean?

I swallowed hard. My anxiety went into overdrive as I started to panic at that vague description. If they got back together... I felt very sick again.

The address sent through and I read it out to the driver who was glad I finally had a destination. He began our route to the small mansion but I couldn't stop shaking. What if he was there with Tom and what if he looked happy? Was I meant to leave and forget this whole ordeal? I hoped to triumph but I couldn't destroy his happiness if he had found it with Tom once more. Maybe I would just have to shut my mouth and leave. Maybe I would just have to catch the next plane back to LA ad continuously wonder what could've been. It was trying times like these I got angry at myself for not taking the opportunity to be with him forever when it was brought to me in the first place. Everything had to be so difficult with me.

We arrived at the curb and I paid the driver. I slowly exited onto the cement pathway, checking the number on my phone corresponded with the number on the black door of the almost-intimidating house. I tried to stop my hands from trembling as I slunk up the steps and I raised my fist to the wood. I drew a deep breath. I felt the butterflies come back again but I couldn't tell what type they were. I knocked on the door and stepped back, anxiously waiting for a response.

I heard a clank of footsteps behind the door before it swung open to reveal a tired face. Tom stood in the opening and at first was shocked to see me innocently standing before him. Then he frowned as if he was mad and shiftily looked around to see if anybody else had accompanied me. Our eyes met and suddenly I couldn't read his expression anymore, as if those jutting eyes his a secret superpower.

I had to calm myself down, reminding myself this was his house so I shouldn't be so worried to be seeing him instead of Julian. It didn't mean they had gotten back together.

"What are you doing here?" He grumbled, breaking the silence with his hands still firm on the door not bothering to open it all the way.

I knew I wasn't welcome. I wasn't welcome in his house or life anymore. I couldn't blame him but I couldn't let him get in my way.