Chapter 15

A bitter laugh escaped Astra as she received the order, yet she obeyed nonetheless. 

"... As you wish, my lord." Sarcasm dripped from her sentence as her mutinous gaze scorched Theo. The Grandmaster suppressed the urge to flinch, steadily staring back at her. With that, Astra spun on her heel and left the meeting room, accompanied by two Frostbourne guards. The chains that bound her wrists clanked against each other jarringly in her wake. The council winced at the noise - it might as well have been claws on a chalkboard. 

Theo pinched his nose bridge, sighing heavily. He knew that in Astra's opinion, she had just lost quite a bit of respect for them. The council exchanged uneasy gazes amongst them, Daryll was glaring at Patrick with a blazing hostile intensity, the knight averting his gaze to stare at the floor. He himself was filled with guilt, his words had been far too harsh when he snapped, it would leave an impact on Astra for sure. 

"My lord, is the... subject," Daryll looked like he was having a hard time even forcing the word out of his mouth, it left a bitter aftertaste on his tongue, but he continued, "Allowed human... interaction?"

"Yes, you can visit Astra," Theo nodded, a shadow of pain passing over his face. She had been a good friend to him, he didn't want to do this, but he did not have much of a choice until she was deemed... 'safe' by the Frostbourne. 

"Why all the precautions? You might as well send her to The End," Azura questioned as the rest left, only her and Theo remaining in the room. Daryll had clearly gone to visit Astra, Azura knew. Back to the matter at hand, however, Theo looked rather displeased with her questioning him. 

"I am only making sure. The villagers were unsettled by the attack - I just want to protect Astra from them, and them from her."

A cold light seemed to spark in Azura's eyes as she stated, "Do you really think that denying a bird's freedom is protecting it?" With that, she stalked out of the room, leaving Theo speechless, to his own thoughts.

The technician found Patrick just outside, sighing as he leaned against the stone brick wall. Her gaze softened slightly.

 "...Let's go. There's no point regretting it now when it's already over. Besides, do you believe Astra's a traitor?" The knight's blue gaze was dim, head bowed. 

"Patrick. Look at me." Azura's voice cut through his train of self-blaming thoughts, concern seeping through her voice and embracing him. He lifted his head. Two pairs of blue eyes met. Patrick turned away. In that split second, Azura had never seen him so... lost. 

"It'll be... fine. I'm okay," he forced out, voice cracking slightly, regrets and guilt churning up a storm within him. The look Daryll gave him... his own apprentice. 

I expected more. I thought that you were... different. 

The message had stabbed straight through him, along with the images of Astra, a crying mess before him, they hurt. Azura let out a soft sigh, wrapping her arms around him and he returned the action, suppressing his sobs. 

Still, Azura could feel him trembling, his breaths shaky as she held him. "...It's okay. I know you didn't mean it..."

Astra paced the floor of her room, the steps gradually increasing in speed, reacting involuntarily to her ever complicating thoughts.. Barely a day in, I'm already restless. 

"I- ahahah... so weak... cried again, before him too! Astra... why the hell can you not keep your shit together?! Look what's happened to you now!" A weak laugh- with an underlying tone of crazy, followed her words. I'm losing it, aren't I? 

"Yeah... I am. SHIT!" Her hands raked through her hair, messing it up thoroughly. "I don't want... to become like her. No. Please..." She slumped to the ground, clenching her hands into fists, gritting her teeth to prevent herself from letting the tears loose. 

"Stupid! I'm so STUPID! I... promised. But I broke it..." A scream wrenched itself free, escaping her mouth. "I... I can't. I can't.... I CAN'T!" Her own explosiveness startled her, yet she couldn't stop it. 

Can't even control yourself... Her mind mocked her, and she squeezed her eyes shut. She just... she just wanted it to stop...

Like a burst of ethereal light, the knock on her door dragged her back to reality, and she walked over to the door, suppressing her shaking. 

"If it's Patrick, I don't wanna talk to you. If it's Rain..." She scoffed softly. "Piss off." 

A short laugh came from outside. "It's just me," A familiar voice replied and Astra visibly relaxed, opening the door. Daryll. It was just him. 

The bandit turned to the other two Frostbourne guards and ordered, "You can take your leave now." 

"But the Grandmaster told us to-" One of them voiced his protests, yet Daryll cut him off. 

"To what? So if he jumped off a cliff, would you do that too? You can leave. Besides, if she somehow tries to escape, have you forgotten all the preventive measures taken? Like the splash potions? You did give them to her, did you not?" His words were harsh and sharp, the soldiers couldn't respond to them, so they grudgingly took their leave. The bandit was right, after all.

"...Now I understand why no one seems to go near you," Astra laughed and he just rolled his eyes before entering the room.

He stared around the room - it was more spacious than he expected - and Astra pulled a chair over for him. 

"Here," she smiled slightly as she did so. The two of them looked out of the window, towards the rapidly darkening sky. A flash of worry passed Daryll's features as Astra let out a series of coughs, her body shuddering against him. After a few moments, she slackened slightly, breathing raspy, all energy sapped out of her.

"...It's the- potions-" Her sentence was punctuated with quiet wheezes as she lifted her head to look at him. 

"How many did they give you?" Daryll questioned, his voice dangerously soft. Astra didn't respond. 

"How. Many." He repeated firmly, he was not going to take no for an answer. 

"...Three weakness, two poison," Astra mumbled, half-closing her eyes. Daryll narrowed his eyes, struggling to maintain his composure as he clenched his fingers into fists, knuckles turning white. 

"How could they-" 

"Daryll. It's fine," she sighed, shaking her head. "There's no point." The bandit simply fell silent. Next to him, Astra inched closer before leaning her head on his shoulder. 

"I think you better rest," Daryll suggested flatly, though there was an underlying tone of concern in his voice. 

"Mm." Was all he received as a reply as Astra reluctantly got up. So did the bandit, who leaned down, his lips grazing her forehead lightly before he headed for the door. 

"Rest well, Astra," his gaze was soft as he looked at her before opening the door and leaving. 

"...You too..." She whispered towards the, now locked, door.

Outside, the sky was pitch black, and the snow had started to fall once more.

A.N. : Good gosh I have not updated in forever- so for those still sticking around, thanks a lot! It's been really difficult to continue this story lately... I dunno why. But well, a chapter's here, featuring Astra having another mental breakdown! (lmao) Anyways, hope you enjoyed, don't forget to vote, comment and follow! <3

~Lightningstar out