ten

not me almost publishing chapter 11 before chapter 10- oops

Alazne Vyne
~

sup⋅port
/səˈpôrt/

verb
give assistance to

"How are you doing?" The voice is too loud, splitting my consciousness apart.

Pain slices through me, and I clench my eyes closed, breathing in the darkness.

"Do you remember anything?" Too many questions.

"What... happened?" My voice sounds foreign, I can't feel my legs, and every inch of my body is screaming at me. My heart freezes when I realise I don't recognise the voice. It's fine, I try to convince myself. You'll have to talk to a lot of people you don't know in your life.

"Your car stopped working halfway through the light, and both you and your brother were crushed."

I frown and force my eyes open. "They're not a boy," I whisper.

"Oh... oh, I apologise." Good. You should. The nurse is a pretty lady with curly black hair, light skin, and is bent over a figure, who I realise, with horror, is Quinn.

"Quinn," I breathe.

"Is that his... their name?" she asks. Credits for trying.

"Yeah."

"What's your name?"

"Alazne Vyne."

"Okay, we actually have records of you being in the hospital before?"

I look down and nod, before recoiling in shock. My arms are completely exposed. I've been changed into a short-sleeved shirt, and the angry red lines are in plain sight for anyone to see. Fortunately, I can move all four limbs, and I quickly hide my arms beneath the blanket, immediately disliking whoever decided to change me. My skin is pale, too, like the people I've spoken to. Like dad.

"Well, you're actually not in bad shape - your... erm, sibling, is in a worse condition than you. Is there anyone I can call? Parents? As far as the documents say..." she trails off, scrolling through something on a tablet.

"They're... not available right at this moment." I swallow the bile choking my throat and look away, avoiding her probing gaze.

"I'm sorry, but we need them to sign, and take you home. I understand your sibling is listed as a guardian, but he - they - are not an adult yet, so we can't allow you to go home with just their signature." She gives me an apologetic look, and my heart aches in pity for her just the tiniest bit.

"I don't think... my parents... can."

"In what way, sweetie?"

"I- um." Even after a couple weeks, the words still don't seem to be able to force themselves out of my mouth. "You see, I- they're- we- our dad was buried last week, and I don't think he'd be able to sign from inside a coffin." I return her apologetic look, feeling my heart squeeze in uneasiness.

"Oh, but there must be someone?"

"I don't... I don't think so. What time is it?"

"It's the morning, dear."

I freeze. Ace must be worrying so much right now. I don't want to drag him into this, but I also don't want to stay in the hospital until Quinn turns 18. I'm about to ask for a phone to call him when I remember that I don't actually have his number. With a sigh, I look back at Quinn. "Quinn was the only one with his number."