Prologue

I sit in front of my father's desk. I couldn't count how many times I had been in this position, sitting in the expensive wooden chair and staring at his equally stunning desk, running my eyes over the many papers there. He was always so busy; busy enough where he knew practically nothing about me and Mike, his own children. It had always been like this so my brother and I never thought much of it but our friends thought it was strange.

He finally looks up to me and gathers a stack of papers. He hands it to me and nods. "Deliver these to Mr. Barakat for me, would you?" He says. I nod and stand, tucking them under my arm. I exit the office and sigh, trying to remember where Mr. Barakat's room was. Barakat taught Science and he did a damn good job of it too. He knew his facts and could teach the tiresome subject to a rock if he wanted.

Finally I find his room and knock. He was teaching a lesson right now and I hated to interrupt, and knew he'd hate delaying his teachings, but once he opened the door and saw it was me, he didn't seem to mind. I smile and hold up the papers so he can see them. "These are from Headmaster. Says to deliver these to you; I think they're your class's scores from exams." I shrug, though I know very well that that's what they were.

"Thank you, I was wondering when they would come. Would you like to step in?" He asks. I shake my head and step back a little, sticking my hands in my pockets. "I actually have to get to hall duty, class gets out in a few minutes. Thank you, though, Mr. Barakat." I smile a routine smile, something I had mastered over time.

That was another thing, being the Headmaster's son. You had to be respectful to all the teachers, not just to make yourself look good, but to also make your parents look good. It got tiring but I guess it had to be done. But then at times, I thought the opposite. Mike had never followed the rules and he seemed fine, hell, he had everything, so why should I? But I never acted on it. That was something Mike got that I did not: guts.

I make my way to the main hall, glancing into the classrooms as I go. Hall duty began as soon as the bell rang and that would be any second now. I take my arm band out of my pocket and slip it on my arm, around the bicep and clashing against my dark blue uniform. Like I assumed, the bell rang just then and the doors open. Things run smoothly for the first few minutes of transition, but it was a little loud.

"Alright, quiet down everyone!" I call over the noise. It gets slightly quieter but there's one group who just would not shut up. It was some of the lacrosse team, the most annoying people in the whole school. I approach them, specifically the leader. His name was Kellin; slightly taller than me with hair longer than your sister's and a cocky grin plastered on his face at all times. "There a problem?" He asks.

"Yes, I've asked you all to calm down. Justin, Gabe, Oli, and Mat, for the last time: please be quiet." I say calmly, but sternly. Kellin rolls his eyes and I internally sigh, knowing this was not going to end as quickly as I had hoped. I opted to avoid him most of the time, mostly because I hated his friends, second because he had the second highest GPA.

Second.

Mine was the highest and we'd silently battled over it since school began. This was a private school so grades were more important. His was always around three tenths of a point under mine, but he'd smartened up and so my confidence was tainted. I sent him a glare and he returned it. "I don't have to listen to you," he told me. I smile sarcastically. "Actually, Kellin, you do."

"We're just excited over tonight's game. What's the big deal?"

"Other classes are going on and you're a little too--"

Kellin cuts me off and rolls those eyes again. "Think I care about other classes?" Frank, one of the kids in the group steps forward and touches his shoulder as a way of telling him to stop. But Kellin thought he was a king, or queen rather, of some sort and he didn't listen to the short boy. "Think I care about your little lacrosse game?" I counter and raise my eyebrows.

Frank glances at me but I look away from him. I hadn't told him to quiet down because he wasn't talking, which was no surprise. He was a quiet guy, not really close to anyone. Well, he had a best friend named Gerard that was avoided by everyone here, and he seemed to tell him everything. They were inseperable and no-one knew why. He was a bit weird, but other than that, Frank and I had no issues. Kellin and I on the other hand...

"That's fine...you just wait, Fuentes. Exam results are in today and we'll see who wins." He grins a little. I shrug, unphased, and grin right back. "Cool. See you then, Bostwick."

He shoves past me and his friends follow. "It's Quinn." He calls behind him, glancing over his shoulder. I felt amusement course through me and I decide to tease him one last time. "Whatever you say, Bostwick."

I swear to God, I hate that kid.

__________

so i decided to just do the plot that i had written down. my other one got deleted so here you go!
love you guys <3