A Summer Romance: Chapter 6

The thing that woke me up this very early morning was Victoria’s screams. I got out of my bed (well, rolled out of it was more appropriate) and went to their room. My dad was also there, looking very disheveled and holding a bat.

“Victor’s been chasing me with a worm,” Victoria whined.

My dad mumbled something about go back to bed and was still muttering when he went downstairs. I didn’t blame him.

“Amy, are you going back to sleep?” Victoria asked.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to go back to sleep now that I’m awake.”

“Can I sleep on your bed then?”

“Sure, go right ahead.”

What was I going to do until later this afternoon? After another one of the quickest showers I’ve ever had in my life, I went downstairs to Grandma’s bookshelf. My grandparents had an awesome collection of great books and I didn’t read in a long while so why not wastethe morning reading? I went into the kitchen and had a quick breakfast of toasted bread and butter. Not particularly my favourite but I wasn’t in a mood to do anything else. I took ‘Matilda’ by Roald Dahl (I always wanted to read this book) and walked out the back doorinto Grandma’s garden. I passed the vegetable patch to get to the stone bench in the middle of the garden. I stopped a while to admire Grandma’s flowers and Grandpa’s tomato plants before I started reading.

It really was a very pleasant place to read. The sun was bright but the large umbrella from the table protected me and there was a gentle, crisp breeze that kept me cool. No one botheredme, unless you counted my mom. I was just getting to the part where Matilda’s friend, Lavender, was putting the newt into their headmistress’ jug of water when she called me.

“Amy! Lunch is ready!” she told me, “and you have a visitor.”

That was my mom. It must have tortured her for us not to eat together for the past few days. Everyone went their separate ways and no one was really homemuch.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“It’s quarter to three.”

Wow. I had been enjoying myself reading so much that I didn’t notice time fly by.

My mom left me in the living room to prepare the table, leaving me alone. Or so I thought.

“What are you doing here?”

“I’m here to pick you up,” Taylor replied, grinning, “today’s my mom’s birthday. You didn’tforget did you?”

“Of course not. But I don’thave a gift for her. What am I going to do?” I was pacing up and down now.

“Hey, calm down,” Taylor said, placing his hands on my shoulders to stop me from anxiously walking backward and forward.