XVI

I may not know my way any further than this point, but I did know how to get back to my room. And the smart thing to do here would be retreat back to my cozy bed where guards never tried to kill me, and stay there until the end of time, I suppose.

This was enough adventure for not only the day, but for the rest of my life.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you," I said, taking a step back. If I can just make it to my room, nothing worse will happen.

"Stop!" he ordered. A chill ran down my spine. "Who said you could leave? I ought to arrest you for being suspicious. If you're posing as a distraction while your companions try robbing this estate, I'll have you know that Lord Sinclair will show you no mercy."

No! I really wasn't doing any of that. I couldn't even imagine robbing Lord Sinclair, let alone help someone do it. And I really didn't want to see what the Lord's lack of mercy looked like. The rumours of his cruelty had to arise from somewhere, and I wanted to have nothing to do with it.

"I promise I really am the lady Sinclair," I cried out, my eyes prickling with unshed tears. I was a step away from dropping to my knees and begging this man to leave me be.

His grip tightened around his sword. Oh God and Heavens above, please hear my cry, spare me!