I should've protected him

It was a busy day at the marauders' flat. James is about to get married in two months and because he is someone who likes to arrange everything ahead of time he was already packing things for his new home. Only five days ago he and Lily purchased a house at the Godric's Hollow. They've been searching for one since they got engaged. James' parents were here too, helping James pack his things. At least that's what they were here for. Sirius didn't get why this asshole needed this many people to pack his stuff. It was not like he had a lot of things to pack. They'd been in this flat for only eight months and James was surprisingly an organized person. Everything was in its place, he just needed to pack them.

Right now James and Peter were packing the numerous photo albums that James has carefully. Remus was making tea and some snacks for all of them while Sirius lay on the sofa, his head on Euphemia's lap. She was playing with his hair while Fleamont was talking about something ministry related. Sirius was humming, pretending to listen to him with his eyes closed. There was a soft tapping sound coming from the kitchen window. Sirius felt Remus move around and open it. It must've been Artemis, Remus' owl who was a gift to him from the marauders in their fourth year, for Sirius heard hooting noises as soon as the window was open. James owl was already home so, it couldn't be Elias.

Sirius heard the shuffling of papers before he heard Remus move around again and almost ran past the drawing room and into James', closing the door with a click. He sat up and craned his neck while Euphemia called out, "Is everything okay, Remus dear?"

"Everything is fine, Mia. Don't worry," Remus called out from inside the room. Mia and Monty exchanged looks, everything didn't seem right. And they did have reasons to worry. The world was in chaos and not to mention the fact that Remus' mother's health was declining very fast. Sirius walked towards the door and knocked.

"Let me in Remus," he heard loud whispers from the other side of the door. Remus and James were arguing which made Sirius even more worried. What could happen to make them hide something from him like that? "I think I deserve to know whatever's happening with you," the door opened with another click and there stood a sombre-looking Remus.

"It's not about me," he looked behind and gave James a look before stepping outside and going towards James' parents. Sirius looked around the room and caught James' eyes. He looked down. Peter was fidgeting with the hem of his shirt before disappearing out of the door as well. Sirius looked behind and saw Remus whispering something to Euphemia, her face paling with each word.

"What's going on?" Sirius stepped inside the room. "Why are Remus and Peter acting weird?" he paused before adding, "and you," James looked up from the ground and opened his mouth before closing it again. He seemed to be searching for words before handing Sirius Remus' daily prophet. "What am I supposed to be looking at?" Sirius trailed his eyes on the paper before asking.

James pointed to a short article.

End Of The Black Family Line?

Regulus Black, the heir of the Black family, seems to have met an untimely end at the age of eighteen— writes Willam Gudgone. Walburga and Orion Black hosted a funeral for their youngest son Regulus Arcturus Black this Thursday. The time of his death is unknown. But the rumour has it that the heir of the Black family has been missing for the past few days. The funeral was attended by a close group of family. It has been noted that his brother, the runaway Black, Sirius Orion was not present at the ceremony. Whether he has refused to come or not invited has been unknown.

The young Black became heir to the Black family after his brother ran away four years prior. He was attending his last year of Hogwarts. However, it is not known how long he has been missing. Whether Sirius Black will come back and hold the title is up for debate. But as for now, we can tell the most ancient and noble house of Blacks is out of male heirs.

Sirius stared at the paper, reading it over and over again, searching for a clue that it was a piece of wrong information that the prophet has been publishing for a long time, that his brother was alive. But he couldn't find any. There were pictures of Bellatrix and Narcissa in a graveyard wearing funeral clothes. If he squinted his eyes he can get a glimpse of his mother in the background. No, this couldn't be.

He looked up from the paper to see James watching him worriedly. He gave him a small sad smile before tearing the paper into pieces. James let him. he always does and he always understands. Why is he so understanding? Why didn't he make Sirius go back to Regulus when he showed up on his doorstep? Sirius felt James wrap his arms around him and pat his back soothingly. "Breathe, Sirius. Breathe,"

Sirius took a deep breath and let it go slowly just like that woman said he should. He was panicking, he shouldn't panic. Nothing happened. Everything is alright. Who is he kidding? He shook his head and broke out of James' embrace, his hands forming into a fist and his jaw clenching. He stormed out of the room and up to Remus, punching him square in the jaw. Remus' eyes watered at the connection but he didn't strike back. Euphemia gasped and James hurried to get in between Sirius and Remus. "You could've just told me! You didn't have to go running to anyone else!" Sirius was shouting. "He was my brother! I should've known before anyone else did,"

Remus let him talk and James still stood in between them while Peter ran out to get some ice. Sirius didn't know when he stopped shouting and started hugging the three basterds he called his friends. He wasn't crying, no, it was worse. It wasn't feeling anything. Not a single drop of emotion was coming to him. He just felt numb. Just one unspoken sentence circling through his head, 'I should've protected him,'

So, what do you think? I initially wanted to write how Sirius was going to cope with Regulus dying as days went on. But I didn't. tell me if you want that. I can't promise I'll write but I'll think about it. If this chapter feels rushed, let me know. Any kind of criticism is welcome.