Chapter 32: Camila's birthday

Lori ran from her classroom into Camila's waiting arms. Camila and Lauren were both there to pick her up, which was very unusual. Lori grinned from ear to ear as Camila spun her around and gave her a raspberry on her cheek.

"Is it still your birthday, Mommy?" Lori asked, happily looking at Camila.

The day had started with Lauren making pancakes for everyone, going so far as putting a whipped cream smily face and a single candle on Camila's stack. Lori and Lauren happily sang "Happy Birthday" while Camila smiled at their rendition. Camila opened her first gift from Lauren, a package of small canvasses. Lauren insisted Camila take some time to get back to her painting and that she had been working too much. Camila agreed. They had dropped Lori off at school and promised to return to pick her up together as well.

"Yep, it's still my special day," Camila answered.

Camila had never fully enjoyed her birthday since her parents died. Of course, the Hansens had fussed over her and tried their best to make it special. There was always cake and celebration, but Camila always felt the day was a little bittersweet. It reminded her of her parents. She was relieved to find that being with Lauren and Lori seemed to make it easier.

"How about we all go get some ice cream?" Lauren asked happily.

"Really?" Camila asked, making Lauren giggle as she was just as excited as Lori.

"Yes, really, it's your birthday," Lauren answered, smiling, "You get to have all of your favorite things."

Camila put Lori down and held her hand. She reached out and held Lauren's hand with her free one and they walked together out toward the car. Camila leaned over and whispered to Lauren.

"I have some favorite things I intend to get later," Camila said with a wink.

"Keep your mind out of the gutter, birthday girl!" Lauren replied with a smirk.

They got into the car and headed to the ice cream shop. Lauren ordered a single scoop of strawberry for herself and a kiddie cone of chocolate fudge for Lori. Camila ordered a banana split with three scoops, vanilla, chocolate and peanut butter, with extra hot fudge and whipped cream. Lauren rolled her eyes and Lori jumped up and down in excitement at the huge bowl being prepared.

They sat at the table and Camila dug in. Lauren couldn't help but smile watching Camila enjoy the giant mound of food. Lori was clearly hurrying to finish hers so that she could dig in to Camila's as well.

"That has got to be 5000 calories, all sugar," Lauren said, shaking her head and chuckling as Camila hummed in delight with each bite.

"It's my birthday!" Camila answered happily.

"Can I share?" Lori asked, getting to the last bites of her kiddie cone.

"I usually eat it all by myself ...," Camila said, acting unsure. Lori gave her the most adorable pleading look and Camila laughed, "But of course I'll share with you."

"Thank you, Mommy!" Lori squealed, jumping onto Camila's lap and grabbing the extra spoon to get a bite.

Lauren picked up her phone and took a few pictures of the two of them, perfectly content to watch as they thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream treat. When they were done, they went back to the car and began the drive home.

"What time is our dinner reservation?" Camila asked.

"You can't possibly be hungry!" Lauren said, looking at Camila with a shocked expression.

"I'm not," Camila said, chuckling, "I'm wondering if I have enough time to digest before then."

"It's at 7:00 but we're going to Normani and Dinah's for a cocktail before at 6:00, remember?" Lauren asked.