IV. God's Plan

Peace be with you.

Epitome
God's plan would be for a person to repent and to use their situation in the service and betterment of others, in which it would then better themselves, no matter what those circumstances are; this can only be accomplished when a person has decided to be directed by God, instead of directing their own way. "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Proverbs of Solomon, 16:9) This does not mean that limbs would be restored, but that it will be easier to endure, and can still be used to help others. It is not much unlike the situation of Nick Vujicic, who is without arms and legs, but still communicates to others about the gospel.

Expressed
A common argument that is presented revolves around God's plan for us. More precisely, it revolves around the common saying of God's plan for us in times of crisis, disaster, and tragedy. The usual retort is in this form too, such as "What about amputees?" or "What about the family that had been killed by a drunk driver?"

This saying is a bit misunderstood so this chapter will be covering the concept in a little more detail before actually responding to the above-mentioned questions. This means there will be a bit of a Bible study, the concept applied and understood in the life of the church, before there is perhaps an in-depth reply (assuming the explanation of its foundational form doesn't get to it by the time this chapter is finished).

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) In the Revised Standard Version, the term used is "plans". I use the New King James Version typically, which uses the term "thoughts". So, it reads: "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

The term here is machashabah (מַחֲשָׁבָה) which is "plans, device" according to Strong's concordance. It is used often in the context of abstractness, like imagination, devising, intention, thoughts. "Plans" isn't far from this, either. In the NKJV, it is generally translated as "thoughts".

The term "plan", in translating the term, is rendered to mean what He wanted of us. This doesn't necessarily mean that He plans for their life to merely be devastating — again, we are to be reminded that His thoughts, His plans, are "for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." God, after all, loves mankind.

In this life, affliction is inescapable. The Scriptures recognise this, the Psalms discuss it abundantly, Job lived through it as did the Lord. David even conveys the longing for the Lord to release him and be present with him during his tribulation in his psalms, remarking: "Why do You stand afar off, O Lord? Why do You hide in times of trouble? The wicked in his pride persecutes the poor; let them be caught in the plots which they have devised." (Psalm 10:1-2) And again, in saying: "How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O Lord my God..." (Psalm 13:1-3)

Despite this, he affirms his trust in the Lord. "But You have seen, for You observe trouble and grief, to repay it by Your hand. The helpless commits himself to You; You are the helper of the fatherless..." (Psalm 10:14) And again, he says: "But I hope in Your mercy; my heart shall greatly rejoice in Your salvation..." (Psalm 13:6)

There is a trust to be had, and these figures are examples for man. Even while enduring their hardships for at times even years, they kept their attention on God, and He used them for the betterment of others and eventually for them. In these events, God takes our affliction and uses it. God uses us despite our circumstances to make life better for the afflicted and for others, and that at the end of any tribulation, there is consolation.