Dogs and Danger

I woke up. I rolled over in a soft, white bed. I felt safe. Safer than I have felt for a while now. Then I remembered Diablo. And the wendigo. And Autumn. I didn't feel safe anymore. What if the Wendigo goes after me? After Autumn? I don't know. I don't know what would happen if it got its claws on my family. And I did not really want to know. Everything felt off. My body still hurt from the crash, but now everything was just numb. I knew I was going back soon, back to my home. But we weren't really going home. Home was being screened for the black mold that had caused my "Hallucinations" of the "Wendigo". But were they really Hallucinations? Or was the Wendigo real, really there? Really hunting me. No. That was impossible. Or so I thought. Was it impossible? Were the legends that had been passed down for generations fake? Was the wendigo just a threat to people in winter, warning them not to (even when they're starving) eat their fellow humans? I saw it. I had seen it, not screened through a photograph, or screened through the words of others. I had seen it with my own eyes. But then there was carbon dioxide. I had checked out that car multiple times, making sure that carbon dioxide would not be a problem. But it was. Why? Why, when I have checked both of these things multiple times, had they still happened? I could not stop thinking. Thinking about all the ways that this went wrong. Then something jolted me out of my trance, it was Autumn. "are you feeling better?" she said worryingly, looking at my casts. "I'm all good." My body still hurt, but I was able to do basic movements. "Good, because the doctors say we can go home now." "okay." "are you sure you are okay?... That was a pretty nasty accident..." "I've been through worse." I had been in the army, Aviation branch. I had been through worse than a few broken bones. "I'm sure." It took a while to get to the car (Autumn also owned a jeep, a Willys CJ-3A.) but soon we were driving towards our temporary hotel, finally going home. Then I remembered Diablo.