Chapter 42 - Cliffhangers. Plural

CAERA DENOIR

"Welcome, Retainer Caera!" the guards gave a bow as we finally arrived. "You may rise. I'm just here to overview the attack on the wall," I answered. I don't remember if there were any other retainers here, but if they were they either left or are dead.

"Yes. Now please follow me, I shall lead you to your tent," one of them said as they bowed. I did it with Seth and Mayla right behind me. The tent was luxurious, that's for sure. Well, at least for a tent it was.

I would marvel at it, but I was way too tired. Thankfully there was a bed which belonged to me and me alone. "Where would my companions be staying?" I asked before I did anything.

"Well, if you wish we can set up another tent for them. Or we could have beds put in here," he answered. He was surprisingly calm throughout the whole situation. "What do you guys think?" I asked since it was ultimately up to them.

"Another tent would work. You should be allowed to have your own room, we can share one," Mayla answered. Seth nodded. I wasn't sure if it was because he agreed or if he was too afraid to deny Mayla. The guard nodded and commanded people to set up another tent. Thankfully it was done correctly.

From how I was briefed, we're using a special drug which corrupts mana beasts. Using them we'll launch an attack on the wall. I still remember back when I saw the huge thing.

***

"Hey Caera, come look at this.":

I pushed myself off of the seat which I was using as a makeshift bed while we traveled. I was taking a break from controlling the cart. We've been traveling for about a week, even making use of the many teleport gates around Dicathen. I'm surprised with how easy it is to travel around Dicathen.

I pushed the sheet we used as a makeshift door out of the way to see what Mayla was talking about. I was still half dazed from sleeping. It was still coming into view, but what I could see that the landscape wasn't blocking was a huge wall. That was it. Simply a wall.

It was made from stone and I wouldn't be surprised if it was reinforced with magic. It was so large one could mistake it for a part of the landscape if not for the many windows, weapons and people that stood not only on top, but also inside.

"Sooo ummmm we're supposed to just, attack this thing?" Mayla asked, craning her neck up to fit the whole thing in her field of view. "Not even castles in the Central domain can match this thing in defense. I can see why we need so many mana beasts," Seth commented. "If I had to guess, they also make use of the many natural caves in the area like the ones Grey told us about. See how it seems to descend even further into the ground? It would make sense for them to hide extra troops, supplies and other war tools." Seth analyzed.

"Should we go check it out? I mean, it's not like they'll suspect us. We can answer basically everything they throw at us because of Grey," Mayla asked.

"I don't see why not. We'll have to be extra careful though," I answered. "Don't worry about that. I brought these just in case," Mayla pulled... ummmm... I don't think describing it would even be possible. "I call these the 'Fake Backs.' We put them on, and they hide our runes by looking like extra skin."

"Mayla, as useful as it sounds, I don't want to wear one."

"I agree with Caera, they look uncomfortable. And I don't even want to ask what they're made of," Seth sighed.

As continued to argue about whether or not Mayla's weird invention was useful, the only door which was one the far side and heavily guarded approached. "Halt! State your names and identity!" a guard shouted.