Vol. 1 Chapter 9.1 - Preparing for group study

Everyone had started listening to the teacher. Even Ike and Yamauchi had been trying to get their act together. All but one student, Sudou. Although he did manage to come to class on time, he appeared to be dozing off and struggling. Surprisingly, he seemed earnest in trying to study during class, for the first 30 minutes of every class. Despite that, many students in our class started to grow disdain for him.

After class had ended, Hirata once again had went up to the podium.

"Chabashira-sensei mentioned that the midterm is coming up soon. Remember that if you fail, you'll be expelled. Therefore, I think it would be a good idea to form a study group. In fact, Ike, Yamauchi and Sudou. Come here," Hirata called out to them.

"Horikita-san has agreed to being your tutor for the midterms. Would you accept this?"

"No way man, I can just study on my own."

"Yeah, I would have to agree, no need to go with that stuck-up b****."

"Nah man, I can't do any more studying than this."

I then stood up and interjected. I wrapped my arms around both Ike and Yamauchi.

"Hey boys, did you know that Kushida-san likes a guy who gets top grades? Of course me and Hirata already have top grades ourselves, but we already have girls. And Yukimura's girl is studying. So it looks like she has no real competition. And that is where the two of you come in." I said in a nonchalant manner. Even they should understand what this means.

"But, can't I just study alone anyways? I'm sure I have unbridled potential as I haven't studied before!" Yamauchi exclaimed. Ike nodded in agreement. Oh God please bless these lost souls.

"Horikita-san is quite a good teacher. I'll be sure to help you guys out as well, after all I did get full marks." I said. Time to seal the deal.

"If you guys accept... I'll bring Kushida along as well."  

Both Ike and Yamauchi got fired up... and now they started arguing like cavemen, fighting over Kushida.

"Alright, alright now boys. If you want, I can come to the group as well. After all, my grades aren't particularly top notch either." Kushida came in with the assist.

And now they have been brought back to civilization... wait have I seen this before?

"Hey Sudou, looks like those two are really fired up, aren't they?" I said.

"Ah, oh yeah, maybe I should get into the action."

"So you are interested in joining the group?"

"Dude, I'm too tired after all the exercise. I don't need to be mentally tired as well."

"I know that you have been working out a lot more recently. It is to do with me, right?"

"So you've noticed, huh?"

"You should cut back at least until the midterms pass by. After all, if you don't pass, then you won't be able to compete with me after."

"That's right. Your right. Thanks man for telling me."

"By the way, I'll let you in on a little secret. The stuff we will be studying, the study materials I gave to Horikita will be the actual tests. Be sure to at least memorize them perfectly." I whispered to his ear. He looked genuinely shocked, but kept quiet as well.

Eventually the rest of the class will be given these study materials as well, and memorize the answers, but not now.

Horikita locked eyes with me. Looks like she was really not happy with the fact that I sneaked in Kushida into her study session. But, she agreed to the fact that I could get whoever I wanted in the group. She seemed to have realized this and slumped her head on her desk.

"Ahem, starting today at 5 o'clock, we will plan to study in this classroom for two hours a day until the test. If you'd like to join us, please come whenever you like. Of course, I don't mind if you need to leave partway. That's all I have to say." Hirata said at the podium.

"Yo, Satou. Do you want to join as well?" I asked her. I feel like she would get into this study group somehow even without me asking.

"Definitely, I'll see you there~!" she replied back.

I then went up to Hirata.

"Hirata, take a look at these."

"This is the practice test we just had. But why are you showing me this?"

"This is also the practice test the 2nd years had a year before."

"Does this mean...?"

"I've got the actual midterms. I've confirmed that such transactions are permitted in the school. As long as you don't actually bring these into the exam itself that is." I double checked with that Manabu before.

"I see, do you want me to reveal this to the class then?" Hirata picked up on the fact that I didn't want to be the one to reveal the test answers.

"Actually not yet. I want to make use of these to help with Horikita. After 2 days, you can spread them out. You could try working through these yourself."

"Alright then, thank you very much Ayanokouji-kun. Good luck with trying to get Horikita-san come out of her shell."