5. Parties

"Damn, I'm mad I'm missing the party." Divine complained through our FaceTime call.

I was most of the way ready and hoping Olivia would be in the next century. Every function it was relatively impossible to get her out the house within an hour of the time we decided to leave.

If we said 2, Olivia wouldn't be ready until 4.

"I guess. I just hope it's actually fun." I responded, staring at my tube dress and Nikes in the mirror.

"Girl, I heard the men are bout to be outttt at that party. If I didn't have to study for midterms, I'd be right there with y'all."

I had mixed feelings about going to one of our university's infamous day parties. On one hand, I was eager to get out the house and party like I wanted. On the other, my stomach was in knots.

"Is this outfit okay?" I did a twirl for Divine to take a look.

"You look amazing as fuck!" She swore, ever the potty mouth of the group. In truth, I wasn't much better. "A bad bitch if I've ever seen one."

I smiled at the compliment.

"Tell Olivia's ass to hurry up before she makes y'all miss the whole thing." Which she was known to do.

I sighed before saying my goodbyes to rush Olivia out the door.

🦋

When we got to the party, the sun was out and everything was in full swing.

Some girls were twerking on various benches while others danced and cheered as songs played from the stereos.

"Well, shit." I said as I stared in awe. Olivia nodded beside me but pretended that this was a normal thing we did every weekend.

"Let's get a drink."

We held hands as we walked to over to the Sigmas. They were handing out blue juice, and it was the perfect first drink to get us lit.

After, Olivia and I danced for a bit, sipping on our drinks all the while, and just when I was starting to have fun, of course it was ruined.

It started when Olivia spotted her idiot boyfriend.

"Hey, baby. Hey, Hyacinthe." I rolled my eyes while Olivia cuddled up to him as he hugged her from behind.

"Hey, Chris." I fake smiled, but he'd already shifted his focus to Olivia.

I didn't mind Chris, really I didn't. I just hated the way he treated my friend, but I was well past giving my opinion.

You want to stay? Yay, I love black love! You want to leave? Fuck him, let's go celebrate your breakup!

With Olivia, the response depended on the day.

My mind drifted as I ignored them and danced like no one was watching. Even though I didn't have the fattest ass in attendance, all that matters is that it jiggles, and I was gone shake it even if it didn't.

"Okayyy, Hyacinthe!" Olivia cheered, Chris no where in sight. We danced together for a little bit before she suggested we get drinks by the Kappas. "Chris said they have drinks over there."

I frowned, already suspecting something would go wrong.

As we walked through the crowd and toward the Kappas, Chris almost blended in with his other line brothers. Only Olivia zeroed in on him like a hawk, and I immediately found him when she let out an outraged noise.

There he was, whispering in the nearest girl's ear before he passed her his phone. Later, I'm sure he'd tell Olivia that the girl was from one of his classes, and he'd given her number to get notes.