Change

Wow, thanks for holding the door.

I squeeze into the science classroom as the door swings closed so quickly, that it could hurt if it hit me. I get stuck as the door whacks me. With my pile of books in hand and backpack on my back, I beat the door back and scurry into the classroom, to the back, where my assigned seat is. I hope no one saw me just get beat up by a door....and fight back.

A breath escapes my soft light red lips as I sit down and hang my bag on the chair and drop my books, a little dramatically, onto the table. We got a new seating chart today and I am hoping I can stay in the most unnoticeable spot in the back, even though it is kind of hard to see back here.

The room smells of bleach and cleaner. I imagine there was a recent experiment in another class that didn't have the best smell. My head fills with the scent and aches with millions of racing thoughts I can't seem to control and for a second, I feel like I am going to pass out. 

The tables in the science room are not desks and have to be shared, usually about two people at once, one on each side. Coincidentally, Alex is in my class, as he is in all of my classes, and coincidentally, he gets placed on the other side of my table and we are both moved closer to the front of the room, where the tables are sideways.

Why?

The entire time I am in the bleached classroom, it gets harder and harder to focus. Forty minutes pass and I can't take it anymore, I stand and stumble to the front of the room where our teacher is. Dark spot cloud the edges of my vision as I grip her desk. 

"Ms. Bell," I sputter, "I don't feel too well...." 

She immediately realizes something is wrong and says, "Do you think you can manage to make your way down to the nurse's room?"

Her words are far off as if she is across a canyon, yelling over to me. I can't even get the words I need out of my mouth, so I shake my head, slowly and groggily. 

She snaps her fingers at Alex, "Alex, take Alexia down to the nurse."

Everything is blurry now and the darkness has seeped deeper into my vision. I push myself off of Ms. Bell's desk and shakily step towards the door, my headache unbearable as tears heat up my cheeks. 

Stupid smell. 

I reach for the door handle to steady myself, but Alex beats me to it, opening the door for me. I nod at him the best I can, sure I look delusional cause I definitely feel that way. I attempt to walk quickly but my legs won't cooperate. Alex moves closer to me so I can grab onto his shoulder to steady myself. 

My head screams as if thoughts are being pulled, slowly, painfully, away and thrown off a cliff. I trip over my feet and Alex catches me, pushing me back up. 

"Just a little further," he says, soothingly as I continue to stumble and shove him. 

I stop and bend over, still holding onto his shoulder. The pain is past unbearable as I fold into a ball on the ground, tears flowing from my eyes. 

Alex kneels down beside me, "You gotta get back up, we are so close." 

I know he's trying to be helpful, but he is just getting on my nerves. I push myself up, using him as support. He continues to guide me to the nurse. When we get there, he helps me sit down and retrieves Dr. Elise from her office, explaining what is wrong with me, and then he leaves. 

                                                            -------------------------------------------------