Never to be Safe

I will never be able to hide. I can never escape these people. There is too much security in the world.

I strain against the straps holding me down at my waist, chest, arms, and legs. The straps are so thick and restraining. I can't move, can't breathe.

"It's okay sweetie, I don't want to be here any more than you do."

A woman's voice full of falseness and lies. She has a rolling table with several medical tools with sharp points meant to enter past the skin.

"No," I groan, feeling aches everywhere, slowly healing as they are programmed to.

Someone is beside me. There is another table-like bed.

I turn my head to look to my right where I spot a familiar form stretched out and tied down similar to me. He kidnapped my parents and I. He just got free from his terrible restraints.

"Devland!" I lunge against the stupid straps, giving myself more grief than I probably should.

I begin to realize that some of Devland's pain accompanies mine but my pain is much worse and lessening by the second.

Devland isn't conscious and his head is turned towards me. Slow healing bruises are apparent across his face, neck, and a large portion of his arms. He has a thin dark green t-shirt on and is hooked up to a monitor and IV.

The lady shuffling around has a mask on her face and hair. Square pink glasses are connected to a chain around her neck and the small silver chains dangle from the lenses propped atop her nose.

"Devland."

The lady wears a white lab coat but a lime green dress underneath and pink high heels.

"You've got style," I compliment her.

"Why thank you," she replies.

"I'm glad your white coat covers up your dress because lime green is ugly and pink makes you look like Barbie."

"Thank you."

She continues to be content with her work as she sticks an IV into my right arm and I only feel a slight sting as she wraps it with a tape. Now I know that I don't have much time to speak left.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask, innocently.

"It is my job." She hags a bag on a stand next to the bed I am on.

"I am thirteen. This is child abuse. Don't my parents have to approve? What about him?" I point as best as I can to Devland, sleeping peacefully.

"Your parents have approved. As for him, he is a criminal so the FBI didn't care what we did to him since he has no parents."

June 4, 2022 5:00 am Saturday (one week later)

"Hey, Devland?"

"Yeah?"

The room is dark. At least we weren't drugged last night. I hate the feeling of sedatives, not remembering being put to sleep and waking up suddenly a few hours later until our sleepytime medicine is refilled.

"You awake?"

I can't see anything but I can feel the restraining pressure of the straps constantly digging into my skin. Sometimes I can keep myself awake by forcing pain and muttering after the scientists leave. I guess I keep Devland up as well.

"Yeah," he sighs as if he is tired.

"We need to get out of here man<" I mutter through the utter silence.