#4 - The Explosion🌙

(This part of the story is very similar to the actual one, so credits to Tui)

Moon was backward, slamming into the cave wall behind her as rocks and debris started falling. She didn't know if she was unconscious or if her eyes were full of smoke. She could see Kinkajou freaking out at the edge of the flames.

Everything was so blurry... but not in her brain. Most of it was panicked wordless images, cascading faster and faster until she couldn't be any more scared or she would die.

  Breathe, Moonwatcher. Breathe... said the voice that kept talking to her. 

Moonwatcher was startled for a moment. 

I am the calmest voice you can hear now. Stay calm, don't panic, Moonwatcher.

Easy for you to say, she snapped. The two dragons that were inside here might die!

Alright, great. You are getting distracted from the fire, you're calming down... Remember that you are safe. 

Moon blinked at the smoke that was pouring out of the history cave. A burning rock came to her, faster and faster. She closed her eyes. This is the end, this is the part where I die.

It isn't, have fate in yourself. I see a future where it doesn't, and where it does and you get burned. 

You're not helping. Who ARE you anyways?

The rock stopped just before it reached her.

See!

No thanks to you. Who are you again?

I am Blackdrift... I enchanted myself to remember my name again.

Your... an animus?

In front of her, she saw Qibli and Winter running to her. Turtle was pressed to the tunnel wall beyond them; behind him, two dragons were approaching.

Look, Qibli is safe. Turtle is safe as well, and the Icewing and the Rainwing, regrettably is safe.

 Why regrettably?

She couldn't imagine someone having a hatred for Rainwings, let alone Kinkajou. 

The voice didn't answer. This happened all the time. The voice came, and trails away when she asks him an important question. Was he doing this on purpose?

"Moon!" Winter said, sounding worried. "Are you okay?" He helped her stand up. Her heart skipped a beat. 

"Let's get out of here," Qibli interrupted, a hint of jealousy in his voice. 

"But- Tamarin - Carnelian!" Moon gasped.

"What do we do?" Kinkajou yelled. She looked scared, actually frightened.

They staggered a few steps forward and the two dragons came into view: Sora and Umber. Sora's eyes were wide and terrified, her mind full of mud and battle flashbacks.

Maybe an explosion happened when she was fighting...

"I'll go get help!" Umber shouted, running off to the tunnel. 

"I-is anyone hurt?" Sora stuttered. "Where's Icicle?"

"She wasn't inside, she's safe," Moon replied.

"At least two dragons were in there," Winter said, his eyes clear of worry.

"Stand clear!" a voice shouted, footsteps thumping forwards them. Moon flinched back as the ferocious heat of Peril's mind swept through her, a moment before Peril herself came charging through the smoke. She didn't stop to look at them; she ran straight into the burning cave.