Chapter 12 - Journey of Kim Namjoon

*NAMJOON: Go live your life. You really don't know when and where your life might have a turning point so make sure to live (to see through them) and let's live life to the fullest*

***************************************************************************************

TIME SKIPS TO 2010

PLACE: DONGJAK, SOUTH KOREA

The small kid from Dongjak is now moved to Ilsan. But he never stops his curiosity to know things. Even better, now he had the biggest dream in his eyes. He wanted to be a rapper. 

Namjoon's Pov:

As a kid, I started to wring poems online and I got moderate attention. There were good reviews and a few bad ones too. But this is what kept motivating me for more. 

And then at the age of eleven, I found a new genre that attracted me more and more every day. Hip-Hop. The very first song that got my attention was Epik's High of Fly. And that was the song, which changed my life totally. 

Later I started listening to American rapper Eminem and I absolutely loved him. And slowly my attention was gained in this genre. This first sparked my interest in lyricism. I would print out lyrics that I felt were "cool" and share them with friends. Then I began songwriting at that time, stating that my poetry slowly became lyrics when it was combined with music.

I found something new. It was fun.

To achieve the dream that I was dreaming of for so long, as a first-year middle school student, I began rapping in local amateur hip-hop circles, creating my first self-composed recording with the program "Cool Edits" (Now known as Adobe Audition) and later participating in my first concert in 2008. I became more active in the underground Korean Hip Hop scene under the moniker Runch Randa, releasing a number of tracks and collaborations with other underground rappers such as Zico.

In school, I honestly didn't have any idea how, but fortunately had an of 148 and scored in the top 1% of the nation in the university entrance examinations for language, math, foreign language and social studies. 

And because of this, my parents had been strongly opposed to his interest in a musical career.

 But I eventually found a way to convince my mother to allow me to be a rapper.

"Eomma..." I begged for my mom's attention who was currently busy avoiding me and concentrating more on making dinner. 

"I don't want to hear anything Joon. You are risking your career for some music?"

"But this is what I really want for myself" I tried to show how sincere I am. 

My mom stopped in her tracks as she looked at me furiously. Honestly, I didn't have that much guts to face her right now, but it was also regarding my future. Her eyes were furiously sticking to me and I couldn't help much but stand there with my head down. She said, "And then what? How do you think it will affect your college and future Joon?". She was tensed about his son's future. She had all the right to be. 

And for a second I thought that I probably cannot win against her, but this time it is a do-or-die situation. I need to take it out of my heart. 

I balled my hands in a fist and said with all my courage "But let me ask you, do you want to have a son who was a first-place rapper, or a 5,000th-place student?"

This time the table has turned. Something worked. And this time, I can feel my mom's rage calm a bit down. she know what I was telling was true. She has to step down before the determination of her son. 

For the first time, she saw something in his eyes, that she felt to worth a chance for. After all, she was her son. She needs to support him. 

"Fine. But promise me, if this audition didn't turn out well, you gonna get all your focus on studies this time?"

I chuckled at her argumentive thoughts and nodded my head immediately agreeing with her. 

TIME SKIPS TO THE PRESENT DAY

To be honest I am nervous. I don't know If I can make it today. It was all very fast for me. I still remember the day when rapper Sleepy contacted me and asked for an audition for a company named Big Hit for an idol.

As I closed my eyes, the flashback of last year's audition with Big Deal Records flashed into my mind. 

To be honest it was kind of an embarrassing moment in my life.

 I still remember the joy when I finally passed the 1st round But then I eventually ended up forgetting the lyrics in the 2nd round. 

But I am a lot more aware this year. I am sure that I won't be repeating my mistake this time. 

I don't know if this is what my future holds, but I don't want to have any regrets. 

I took a final breath before entering the building which was titled Big Hit. 

"Hello, I am here for an audition" I finally said to the person who was responsible for the front office. She bowed at me a little as she took my name and contact details from a register. 

"Please be sited, you will be called".

She left with another bunch of kids that came for the audition that day. I sat in a corner patiently waiting for my turn. 

With each passing second, I feel like my heart gonna explode in tension. But somehow I convenience myself to be patient for the time. 

"Everything's gonna be okay" I mumbled to myself. Suddenly I looked at the small crystal pendant that was inside my shirt. I remember clearly it formed out of nowhere that day. But nobody believed me. 

Somehow I ended up carrying it with me all the time now. It was the proof of the first miracle I have seen in my life.

And then finally after waiting for a good thirty minutes, Somebody announced my name. 

"Kim Namjoon?"

I quickly looked up and raised my hands.

"It's me"

"Come on up, you are next"

I breathed out a good chunk of air, clearing all my nervousness. This is the time. This is now or never. And with that, I entered the door, which eventually changed my life. 

***********************************************************************************************

I had no idea that I would be so lucky. That I could make it till up here. That future will give me this opportunity. 

I passed the audition!

And surprisingly they offered me a place as a trainee!

This was big news for me. 

Happiness was just overboard in me right now. 

This was it. This was a chance to finally do what I have been dreaming of for so long. I was beyond happy and shocked at the same time when they ask me to join as a trainee, and I almost forgot to ask for permission from my parents before saying yes. 

I chewed my lips in nervousness, but I was happy at the same time. I looked at my lucky charm as I kissed it before heading towards my home. I had a lot to do now. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Awe, aren't our leader cute now? This was really a brief about his past. Most of the research was taken from the Internet and I lined them with the theory of the book. 

Hope you guys are interested to know the next chapter.