Chapter 22 - Helen

"Helen: The shadow is the greatest teacher of how to come to the light"

***************************************************************************************

YEAR: 1213, SOMEWHERE IN THE MONTH OF MARTIUS, OF MERIDITH'S LUNAR CALENDAR.

KINGDOM: ANGBOTAIN

HELEN'S POV:

I lay somewhere at the peak of the summit, nurtured by sunlight rays. It was warm and bright. I feel relaxed. The soft susurration filled my ears, making me relax my muscles even more.

That is what I usually do to rejuvenate my powers.With bright sunlight. I felt fascinated to see how whenever my body met with the sunlight, it gave me such a rush through the blood. It was as if my powers were waiting for the warm sunlight to fill them.

As I lay in the serene summit, something caught my attention.

A small dear runs with an injured leg, as a mountain tiger, chasing him.

Oh, poor boy. I thought.

This cruel world has never been merciful to anyone. Not even to this baby dear who is running for his life. This reminds me of an incident that occurred long back. That terrified me so much that it still has its effects on me.

FLASHBACK 4 YEARS AGO:

"Lullaby and good night,
With roses
bedight.
Creep into thy
bed,
There pillow thy head.
If God
will thou shalt wake,
When the morning
doth break.
If God
will thou shalt wake,
When the morning
doth break.
Lullaby and good
night,
Those blue eyes close tight.
Bright angels are
near,
So sleep without fear.

They will guard thee against harm.
With fair dreamland's sweet charm.

They will guard thee against harm,

With fair dreamland's sweet charm."

My mind flashed to the memories of when we were kids, and Maya would sing these songs every night to make us fall asleep. She was the one who never leaves my shadow.

"This song was originally written by your mother." She said remorsefully as she kept watching outside the window. "Oh, if only you all could just meet her even for once. She was a pure soul." She said the words regrettably.

"Maya?" I called out for her. I knew most others were asleep by now.

"Oh dear Helen, haven't you slept yet?" She asked bewildered.

"No," I said keeping my voice low, in fear that I might wake my sisters. "What does a mother feel like?" I asked not knowing what exactly I could ask her. I have only heard about my mother but have never seen her. Well, I was told I was adopted. That my mother had given us up. But Maya tells us that she loves us and she is far away for a cause.

But I wish I could have seen her once. I wanted to feel how it felt like to have a mother. Well, my stepmother never loved me less. But it was my brother Chen, who didn't like me that much. He accused me that I have taken away his mother.

But the truth is I love them all. And sometimes I do wish I could see my real mother. That she wouldn't have given me up.

"Oh dear, I wish I could just tell you, but I cannot. It is forbidden to talk about her anymore. Oh that poor soul, she had gone through so much darkness. I wish she could have gotten a little light in her afterlife." She said broodingly.