Fifteen

"Are you really that desperate?", Sevika asked as she squatted next to you on one of the rooftops. "As a friendly advise, I'd take what he offers for now. It's still good money."

With a grim expression on your face and your eyes squeezed together, you squatted behind a wall and tried to find a loophole inside the security system of a fancy villa.

The facade was so shiny that it blinded the ships from miles away. White and gold mingled.

There was no light illuminating the windows.

"This should be easy game...", you mumbled and put away the binoculars to grab a rope instead. "I know you won't safe me if things go south. But I'd appreciate if you could stay out of may way."

Sevika let out a deep breath.

"I got orders.", she followed you to the edge of the roof. "I need to keep an eye on you."

"To report to Silco.", you huffed and jumped down to a lower roof. "You know, for someone who wants to work her way to the top, you do an awful lot of dirty work. You're like a lap dog."

A sound of warning escaped her lips.

With quick steps you crossed the roof to get closer to the target of your desire.

"And you're just doing this to impress him."

You huffed.

One quick glance to check if the coast was clear and your fingers started to work on one of the windows of the upper floor.

"I'm doing this for money."

"Oh really?", one of her eyebrows rose. "Does your little friend know what you're doing for some coins?"

You froze.

It wouldn't be wise to play with her. She knew already that you had been lying to Silco and Singed.

But you also had no intention of getting blackmailed either.

Letting out a deep breath, you cracked the lock of the window and opened it slowly.

A breeze of scented air hit you in the face.

It smelled of lavender and vanilla, yet very subtle and not irritating at all.

Whoever lived in this place had good taste.

"I appreciate that you didn't tell on me.", you said with a glance over your shoulder. "But let's not mingle too much in each others business."

"Hm. So he doesn't know."

Annoyed, you pulled a face.

"Yes...", you admitted with a hint of anger. "And I would like to keep it that way. Now, if you'd excuse me. I got some rich bastard to rob."

Without wasting another word, you grabbed the frame of the window and threw yourself into the hallway of the house.

With a low thud, you managed to land on both feet and jump behind a dresser for cover.

One last time you threw a glance over to Sevika before pulling the hood of your jacket into your face.

Sevika didn't make any moves to try and follow you. She remained motionless, watching from the distance.

Satisfied, you rushed down the hallway.

The next room that followed seemed to be some sort of living room.

Three couches were placed in a circle, in the middle a small coffee table that was plated with gold and pearls. The cushions were made of fine silk that shimmered with rainbow colours as the dim light of the candles stroked the surface.

You had seen many places, fancy and ordinary, in Piltover but this one was impressive.

The sheer amount of wealth that was displayed was enough to chase some kind of disgust up your throat.

People down in the Undercity were dying and whoever lived in this house covered the handles of their doors in gold.

You turned your head to listen if someone was around before you moved on, up the stairs and to the left.

Door after door appeared.

You decided to start with the one that was the furthest away. With bated breath you pressed your ear against the hard, polished wood and listened.

No breathing on the other side.

No steps either.

Carefully, you pushed down the handle.

The door opened a crack wide, barely enough to throw a glance into the room.

It was empty, thankfully. But the sight was confusing.

The entire interior was covered in wood and gold. It was ridiculous how fancy everything looked. Books lined up back to back in shelves that reached all the way up to the high ceilings. It seemed irrational make a room this massive only to keep books in it.

But yet again, Viktor was a man who insisted that books, or rather the knowledge that they held, were valuable as well.

You were about to pull the door shut again and look for something better to steal, as steps reached your ears.

They were small, yet fast, like the ones of a child that tried to move past enough to escape a parent. They almost weren't audible and much closer than expected.

You had missed them.

A shiver of surprise chased down your back.

Out of panic, you jumped into the room and pulled the door shut.

The smell of dried paper and old wood hit you.

Goosebumps grew all over your arms.

A shivering breath escaped you.

The beating of your heart started to fasten. Panic rose and tied your throat.

"Alright...", you tried to calm yourself, whispering, while your eyes wandered through the room. "Alright... Fuck... Well, I've had worse. Just stay calm (Y/N). You got this. All you need is a small token to show off to Silco."

On your tiptoes, you walked along the many bookshelves and tried to spot something that seemed valuable.

But all there was were books. Books and trophies, certificates and framed congratulations, written on paper.

It wouldn't be wise to steal one of those. It would he easy to identify the owner and the fact that you hadn't acquired those unrightfully.

But out of curiosity, you stopped, took a moment and let your eyes wander over a few of the things.

"As a token of our affection and appreciation, we, the council of Piltover, hereby hand over this honouring...", you read to yourself with withheld breath. "To the founding member of Piltover, Cecil B. Heimerdinger."