Twenty-Three

"You know him.", it wasn't a question but a simple remark.

With your arms crossed, you stood next to Viktor, who sat on the remains of a wall, and stared down to the shimmering water of the Lanes.

The smell of chemicals and dust was in the air.

You could taste the pollution on your tongue with every breath you took.

Sunken into himself, Viktor hummed.

His hands were tightly wrapped around the handle of his crutch.

He was still tense.

The way his eyes moved over the ground gave away that he thought about something.

Singed's face must have forced memories back to the surface.

"I was very litte.", he admitted in a low voice.

He wasn't frightened, at least not anymore. But the sound of his voice wasn't like it usually was either.

You took a deep breath.

Somehow, you feared that this had been a bigger mistake than it seemed to be at the moment.

"I shouldn't have agreed to take you with me.", you said and rubbed your eyes to chase away the feeling of flames burning through your eyeballs. "I'm sorry."

His head snapped up.

"No!", he sounded like a kid that was desperate to be useful. "No, I want to help. You didn't even know."

A sigh escaped your lips.

"Yeah... But I knew they aren't clean people either.", you frowned. "What did he do anyways?"

The expression on his face darkened.

A visible lump tied his throat. He had to swallow hard a few times before the next words managed to leave his mouth.

"He has no morals.", Viktor whispered in a voice that made him sound like he was a little boy again, frightened and even traumatised. "There used to be a creature. It was beautiful."

"Singed is a man for pets?", you raised one eyebrow.

He shrugged, head tilted.

"I don't know. But... He loved this creature. Rio. That's what he called her. Something killed her. Or maybe it was just the effect of time. But she declined by the week."

A dark shimmer lit up inside his eyes.

He remembered something. Something cruel.

"Did he kill it?"

"No. No, maybe that would have been better. But no. He kept her alive, locked away in a giant jar. She was suffering. And he kept her alive. Just because he wanted to maintain her uniqueness."

Something inside your chest pulled together.

Judging by the way he told the story, he had been attached to this thing called Rio. Maybe because of his interest for the unknown. Maybe because he had never been allowed to own a pet himself.

Either way, the memories still haunted him.

Viktor wasn't good with people, but he did have a good sense of right and wrong. If he acted so distant, even afraid towards Singed, it meant that he couldn't be trusted.

Ever other day you would have listened to these warnings.

But the problem was money.

Silco seemed to hold Singed in high regards. He would never drop him just to keep someone who stole a few things.

Granted, the fact that you had successfully stolen from Heimerdinger himself must have earned you a few points. Yet, probably not enough to drop a doctor.

Chewing on the inside of your cheek, you let your eyes wander up to the towers of Piltover.

The sunlight was caught on the white facades and made them shimmer like gold.

Rosy clouds wrapped the roofs and made them look like cotton candy.

You couldn't help but let out a snort.

This entire Uppercity looked like a candy land, the dream of every child that knew nothing but poverty and misery.

A cough scratched in the back of your throat.

You tried to swallow it, but choked and had to cough even harder.

To reopen your air ways, you bend over, away from Viktor's field of vision, and hit your chest a few times.

Your sight turned cloudy.

Saliva dripped from your lips. And a few drops of watery blood mixed into it.

"Fuck!", you gasped and wiped your mouth.

Worried, Viktor threw a glance over his narrow shoulder.

"Are you alright?", he asked and tried to reach out.

Quickly, you grabbed his hand to give it a squeeze.

"I'm fine.", you caught your breath to give him a slim smile. "Just swallowed the wrong way."

His eyebrows pulled together.

He tilted his head to get a better look at you.

"Are you sure?", he tried to get up. "You look pale."

Pretending to be fine, you stretched your back and stood up straight again.

"I always look pale.", you joked and placed a kiss on his beauty mark. "Must be the pollution."

You wanted to pull back.

But his hand snapped forward to wrap around the collar of your shirt.

Struck by surprise, you froze.

Viktor's grip on you tightened.

His eyes locked with yours.

Amber melted into (E/C).

There was so much seriousness in his gaze. He looked so hard.

You had never seen him like this before.

"Viktor?", you asked in a calm yet tense manner.

His eyes moved.

"(Y/N).", he said softly and leaned towards you. "Don't make me worry. We would just worry about another. Wouldn't that be tragic?"

With gentle force he pulled you down.

Both confused and worried about what he would do if you would refuse, you leaned into his lead and bowed down.

His lips came closer.

The warmth of his breath tickled over your skin.

Slowly, he tilted his head.

His eyes closed.

Not a moment later the softness of his lips pressed onto yours.

A warm lightning chased through your body.

Sighing softly, you closed your eyes and leaned into the feeling.

It was a stupid mistake, a sin you weren't supposed to commit.

And yet you couldn't help it.

You longed for the touch of his narrow hands.

You wanted to taste him on your tongue.

He seemed to understand.

His hand slid into the back of your neck and pulled you closer. All of a sudden, the tip of his tongue stroked your lips.

You wanted to open your mouth.

He pulled away.

"You taste like blood.", he said.