Chapter 15

"Gyah...". Damien opened his eyes to a comfortable room and the steady beeping of an ECG machine.  "Nothin' like getting shot to make you... not like getting shot much."

"Why did you do that?!" Taylor cried, running into the room.

"Because I love you," said Damien a bit weakly.

"You can't die...". Taylor started to cry softly.  "I can't lose you...". She shook her head.  "I love you too much!"

"I can't lose you... I won't fail you, Taylor...". He stroked her hair.  "Not like I failed Megan."

"Damien..."

"It was my fault... if I'd have been there... I shouldn't have let her go alone-"

"No...". She shook her head.  "There was nothing you could've done...". She buried her head gently in his chest as she cried.

Damien sighed and stroked Taylor's soft hair gently.  "I love you..." he whispered.

This only caused Taylor to cry harder.

Taylor's parents were next to walk in.

"You took a bullet for her?!" Scott cried.

Austin Swift's mouth was hanging open.  "Jesus Christ, dude..."

"Taylor, honey..." Andrea walked over to Taylor, comfortingly rubbing her back.

"How do you feel?" Scott asked.

"Like I've just been shot," said Damien with a smirk.

Taylor grabbed his hand.  "That's not funny!" She cried, tears running down her cheeks.  "You could have died!"

Damien smiled.  "I'd do anything for you, Taylor."

"I know, honey," she whimpered happily.  "I know...". She shook her head, sniffling.  "If you die, I'll never love again...". She shook her head again.  "Never."

"Shhh...". He kissed her gently.  "Shhh..."

"You were out for three days, I cried myself to sleep for three days!" she sobbed.

"I'll never leave you, Taylor," Damien said softly.

When Taylor got back to her house, after she'd regrouped, she sat on her bed and sighed.  She had an interview the day after tomorrow with Ellen... and she wanted to enter her next era, as her relationship with Damien had been steady for half a year... and that, to her, was a new, brighter chapter in her life.  She dug through a drawer in her vanity and found an old picture of herself.  She remembered this one... she had curly hair, and had kept it simple, dressing like a country girl.

...her first era... her country phase...

She'd been young... innocent... happy.

That's when it hit her.

She smiled.  "Hmmm..."