The REAL story

Erika P.O.V. (Off day.)

"Are you ready yet, Babe?" Zac asks from the living room. "Kenna's here!"

"Almost." I say. Tonight there's a Banquet for the Department that Zac's dragging me too. I decided to wear this;

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=73701446

"Ready?" He asks.

"Yeah." I kiss the twins and walk out to Zac's truck. In about fifteen minutes we pull into the parking lot.

"I can't do this, Zac." I say.

"Hey, Yes you can. Liam's here, Matt's here, Josh and Hadley are here. You'll be fine." He says. He opens the door and I get out..

"You're going to be fine." He says. He intertwines his fingers with mine and we walk up to the building.

2 hours later...

"Before everybody leaves, I would like Captain Zac Tynes, Captain Matthew Tynes, Lieutenant Liam Underwood and Sergeant Erika Tynes to come up here." Says Chief Casey. We all get up and walk onto the stage. I stand next to Matt.

"Do you know what this is about?" I whisper in his ear.

"You'll see." He says with a smile. Oookkayy. Weirdo.

"About four months ago, We responded to a Residential Structure Fire. The firefighters you see standing here, Went into the hourse to start search and rescue. One by one they had to exit the house with victims. Lieutenant Underwood and Sergeant Tynes got up to the fourth floor. The floor caved in below Lieutenant Underwood. Sergeant Tynes held onto him until help arrived... A full five minutes later. Lieutenant Underwood would like to present this plaque." Chief says, Handing Liam the award.

"You saved my life, Erika. Thank you." He says. He hands me the plaque.

"Liam.. It was nothing. It's my job to protect my men. Nothing else." I tell him.

"Shut up, You know you saved me." He laughs. I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Thanks, Liam. I'm glad you're okay."

After the Banquet...

"Hey, Chief Casey. Can I speak to you for a moment?" I ask.

"Of course, Erika. What's up?"

"I need to know how my father really died." I tell him.

"Your Father died a Hero. He cleared a house by himself and then got trapped on the fourth floor. His air ran out, And the floor caved. He saved fifteen people, Erika. He's a Hero." He says.

"Okay, Thanks." I say. I walk away and straight into Zac's arms.

"Awh, Babe. I told you not to ask." He says.

"I needed to know. I couldn't go on not knowing. Assuming everybody was lying to me." I say, Tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Babe, Listen. He's a hero. Don't listen to what anybody says otherwise. Okay?"

"Can I go home?" I ask.

"Yeah come on." He says.