Chapter 9

Word Count: 2966
--

When I got off the plane, it was around six at night. The sky was already being swallowed up by darkness, an accurate description of how I felt. I immediately took a cab to the hospital, paying the driver all the money I had, only to get a few rusty coins back.

I ran into the hospital, straight for the front desk where they told me Mark was on the third floor, and in room 301. Quickly, I made my way to the elevator, and as soon as the doors opened, I ran all the way down the hall to Mark's room. I stood by the door, catching my breath as I looked through the small window. There was a doctor inside, his back turned to my godfather who rest peacefully on the hospital bed.

I slowly opened the door with shaky hands, drawling the attention of the doctor.

"Um, hi. I'm Piper. Someone called me earlier, said I should come." I told him, gently closing the door behind me.

"Oh yes, I'm glad you could come." It was the same doctor who had called me from Mark's phone.

I sat down in the chair next to Mark's bed side and slowly took his hand, tears welling in my eyes.

"Aren't you going to ask how he's doing?" The doctor asked quietly.

"I just want to be here." I said quietly, shaking my head. A tear escaped and I didn't bother to brush it away. His hand felt as if it was getting colder by the minute and I did my best to keep it warm in mine.

As the hours ticked by, I sat with him, watching his chest go up, then fall back down. I cried watching him.

It wasn't until around 2 AM when I was sat with just Mark in the hospital room, my eyes red from crying, when his chest stopped going up and falling back down. I froze, he couldn't be gone, he just couldn't.

But the loud, dream crushing, death line sounded, ringing through my ears. Tears ran down my face as I spoke with a shaky voice.

"Don't go, no, no." I said through my tears. The doctor ran into the room and carefully observed Mark, then saw me, and flicked the monitor off. The dead line was gone, but only because the monitor was off. I sobbed as I squeezed Mark's hand, one last time. I hadn't even gotten to say goodbye.

The doctor let me compose myself before speaking again. "Is there any other family members who should be informed?"

"Not in the area." I shook my head.

"I'm very sorry for your loss." He told me. I just nodded, not able to take my eyes away from Mark's still body. Too still.

"Did you know if he wanted to be buried or cremated?" He asked, and immediately followed it with an apology. "I'm sorry for the questions, they're mandatory."

"No, you're fine." I said, shaking my head. "I think he would have wanted to be buried." I ran the sleeve of my sweaters under my nose.

"Are you sure there's no one to call?" He asked. I bit my lip, before pulling out the scrap of paper from my purse that had Aria's number on it.

"It's seven AM in London, and I don't want their Christmas to be ruined," My voice shook and I started to cry again, but quickly wiped my eyes. "I can't do it, but could you wait until tomorrow morning to call her?" I pleaded.

"Of course." He said, taking the number from me. "I believe you should get these too," The doctor told me, taking Mark's wallet and a key off of the counter behind him. "They were in his pocket when he was brought in."

"Thank you," I said, taking them carefully. "I should go now."

"Would you like me to call a cab?"