Chapter 10

Word Count: 3756

--
"God rest his poor soul." Aria, Ian, Tess, Mikey, and I all threw some dirt down onto the coffin, which was just lowered into the ground.

God rest his pour soul.

The words echoed through my mind.

Was he not already at rest? His poor soul? I knew he was dead, but isn't your soul supposed to live on? Aren't you supposed to be in a "better place" as soon as you die?

I wasn't heavy on religion- hell, I didn't know what to believe those days- but I knew there was something waiting for him, someone.

And through my eyes which brimmed with tears, I saw hope, and smiled. He would get to see my father again. The inseparable two, the ones who were tragically separated, finally able to reunite.

That was enough hope to hold onto.

I went back to Tess's house after the funeral, Aria letting me know she'd pick me up in a few hours. I was going back to London, back to where my life would resume. It felt paused now, but I knew it was still set on play.

Tess had let me borrow a black dress and flats, and I changed back into the clothes I arrived in (that Tess had generously washed for me) when we got back. She made some hot chocolate for the both of us while I went up to her room and changed. Once in my sweater, leggings, and socks, I pulled my phone off Tess's charger to see I had a few messages from a concern sounding Dan. I read through them, but clicked my phone off after, not responding. I kept my phone with me as I went downstairs though, because I knew Aria would eventually call.

"Hey," Tess said softly, handing me a warm mug full of steaming hot chocolate.

"Thanks." I said, the warm mug instantly filling my fingertips with heat. I set my phone down on the table so I could warm both my hands with the mug. My body heated as I sipped the hot chocolate and Tess and I sat at the table in silence.

The silence lasted for a good ten minutes, at least until we had both put our mugs down. I was certain Tess had finished, but I only had a few sips of mine. Then, the silence was interrupted by my phone, which started to ring.

"Aren't you going to answer that?"

"No." I said stiffly, yet not taking my eyes off the phone.

"Listen Piper, I know this is all sudden, but he's worried. Don't you want to talk about it?" Tess asked me.

"I do want to talk! Just not to him!" I said exasperated.

"You need to pick up your phone." Tess said. She picked it up off the table and held it out in front of me.

"You answer it then." I said, sitting back in my chair. Tess clicked the green button and I wondered how the call didn't go to voicemail in the time we were talking over it.

"Hello?" She spoke.

Her eyes flicked down at me after a second, and I imagine he asked if I was there because of her reply which came soon after.

"No, she couldn't get the phone. She's just gone to take a shower, sorry."

I waited until she said something else.

"Okay, will do. She'll be back in London soon, yeah. Just had to take care of some family business."

Then she looked back down at me for a second before going back to the phone and leaning on the table.

"You'll have to ask her. ... Of course. ... Right, I'll let her know you called. ... She should be back tomorrow, I think. Her flight leaves later. ... You too, Dan. 'Bye." Then she hung up and put my phone back on the table.