Intro & Prologue

(The Girl who was going to be playing Splatoon 3 at the beginning of the first book is frustrated with her Switch.)

Girl: Hmm... (She sits close by, scrolling through her phone. There's a video of two girls and a boy covering a Splatoon song and an article about missing eSports players in the list of tabs she has.)

Girl: No... no... that didn't work... you can't answer my question... (She continues to scroll.)

Girl: Is there seriously no one who can help me out? (She looks frustrated.)

(She starts to call someone.)

Girl's Friend: Hey! What's up? Have you started playing Splatoon 3 yet? (She holds the phone up to her ear.)

Girl: No, I haven't.

Girl's Friend: What? I thought that would be the first thing you did when you got home! You're obsessed with the series! (She talks.)

Girl: Well, it would've been the first thing I did, but I think something's wrong with the game for me.

Girl's Friend: You've got a bunch of connection errors?

Girl: No, it's not that.

Girl's Friend: Did you turn it off and on aga-

Girl: Yes. I tried that. Nothing changed. (She continues to talk.)

Girl's Friend: Oh. Well, what exactly is wrong with your game?

Girl: You know the little avatars are supposed to appear for you to pick?

Girl's Friend: Well, yeah. That's a classic video game thing. (Continues to talk.)

Girl: They're missing. (On her game, where the avatar is supposed to be, there's no one. There's an empty space for a second avatar, but there's no one there, either.)

Girl's Friend: What do you mean, they're missing? And isn't there only supposed to be one of them?

Girl: I don't know, and I mean they're missing. I can't select my avatar, and I can't make the game go forward. (She talks and motions at the game.)

Girl's Friend: Maybe they just need to load?

Girl: I don't think so. It's been like this for a while. No one else seems to be experiencing this problem in the world, though. I've looked it up, and no one knows what this is. (She's confused.)

Girl: They're just... gone. (The game has a tiny bit of static in the corners.)

~~~

Seventeen Years Ago...

Young Adult Nariko: Finally, I've been waiting for this shipment! This is going to be revolutionary! Okay, just stay calm. Don't lose your cool now. Now, where should I get started? Ah, I know.

Sound effect: Beep!

Young Adult Nariko: Good morning, or good evening, to whoever's watching this tape. Hi, My name is Nariko Octane, the soon-to-be head scientist in the Octarian labs. (She looks into the camera and gives a small wave. Her hair is in a messy bun, and she wears a casual t-shirt shirt under her lab coat. Her new lab is behind her.)

Young Adult Nariko: It is- 2:37 in the morning of September 29, 14003, and I haven't slept all night, so forgive me if I seem a little wacko. But I've had at least five cups of coffee and my mission is making me feel awake and alert, so maybe I won't act weird. Oh, I'm such an idiot. (She glances down at her watch, smiling, but a bit crazed.)

Young Adult Nariko: I have just gotten a shipment of DNA from inklings and octolings. If all goes well, maybe I can find a way to combine the DNA and create the world's very first... Inktolings. Maybe then I can finally prove my worth to my country! (She picks up the box with a smile.)

March 11, 14004

Young Adult Nariko: I've finally been able to combine the DNA of our two species and create an embryo of an Inktoling! (She proudly looks into the camera.)

Young Adult Nariko: The thing is, there's not just one Inktoling. There's two. I guess. I might've messed up while combining the DNA, and accidentally made some twins. I guess I can just hope that this experiment will last. (She holds up a container. Two developing inktolings are inside.)

July 30, 14006

Young Adult Nariko: I'm happy to say that, while there have been complications in everything, my Inktoling experiment has made it far, and I'm beginning to think that this is going to work! (Nariko stands at a much bigger container, the babies are still inside.)

February 3, 14008

Young Adult Nariko: I'm finally the head of the Octarian labs! Things are fine, but I'm a lot busier, and I'm afraid that more work is in store for me. Octavio wants inventions so that we can attack the inklings. I'm worried that I won't have time for my Inktoling Twins. I've come so far with them, and they're my first biological experiment to truly work... I don't want to let them go. (She sits at the container, work is strewn about. She's obviously stressed, but she keeps a smile.)

November 14, 14013

Young Adult Nariko: I don't know what to do. Something is going wrong! Today I tried to program knowledge and information into the twins. It worked, but something is hurting them now. My computers, they can't tell me what's wrong with the twins. They keep... glitching. They must be overloaded. I'm busier than ever, so I can't stay with them.--- Please, my babies, you've got to be okay. (She leans over a glitching computer, very frustrated. Her hair is now let down.)

April 2, 14014

Young Adult Nariko: I think the twins are going to make it. Nothing's acted up on my computers for a while now, and the twins seem to be comfortable again. But I can't keep coming around. I hope that the twins will be okay without me. (She looks up at the twins.)

July 28, 14018

Nariko: I failed them! All of them! Not with the Inktoling twins, but I failed my king. I should've- I should've planned for the weapons to be stronger. Or maybe the engineers didn't work hard enough, I don't know. But some inkling came in and ruined everything. Now our king has been taken! And it's all my fault! These twins are the only reason why I came to the lab today. I- I still need to take care of them. They still need someone to watch over my babies. (She leans against the container, crying.)

September 6, 14019

Nariko: I really thought I had made everything up. I spent hardly any time with my babies so I could mess with that young singer's mind for Octavio and try to help the Octarians rise up, but that got us nowhere. Now we've been defeated... again. I can't leave the twins now! (She sits at her desk, looking exhausted.)

August 15, 14020

Nariko: I... know I said I couldn't leave the twins, but... I've really got to go. I don't know if I'll be back. Some kids out there, they may look small and out-of-place on the battlefield, but I gotta admit, they're good. (Nariko prepares her power suit.)

Nariko: My babies are still alive right now. If anybody finds this recording, please check on my babies. Take care of them for me until I come back. If you do, I give you my eternal thanks. (Nariko walks over to the container. This is the last of her recordings.)

Sound effect: Beep! (The recording shuts off.)

(Nariko stands at the tank the twins are asleep in.)

(Nariko reaches a hand up at the Inktoling twins, who have fully developed into their humanoid forms. They're still suspended in sleep, though.)

Nariko: Take care, my babies. (She leaves.)

Sound effect: Click (She turns off the lights at the door.)

Nariko: I hope to officially meet you one day. (She stands at the door, looking back at the twins. The container they're in is the only thing illuminating the room.)

(Shot of the two suspended in sleep.)

(Divided frame of the twin's hands as a finger twitches.)

(They grab hands in their sleep.)