Chapter 14: Water Runs Dry

Tuesday.

During school I couldn't bring myself to tell Les how I really felt. I think maybe I'm just to scared.

The whole school day I only really exchanged a couple of glances with Les; but they were cut short when I looked away.

After school I headed to my ultrasound appointment and I wasn't sure Les was going to show; being that we are not really talking to each other, and he knows that I don't want to talk to him.

 Maybe I was being to hard on Les. I thought.

I just never felt this way before about anyone, and especially my best friend. I just don't...I don't know anything anymore.

I laid on the hospital bed and the doctor was trying to find the baby.

"Oh, there it is!" she exclaimed, "You're about 4 1/2 months pregnant, right?Do you want to know the sex of the baby?" she asked.

"Yes," I said, "Um, I don't know...I'm not sure. I never thought about knowing." I said.

"Well-" she was cut off by the closing of the room door.

Standing there was Les and he looked torn.

 Lily was right. I thought.

Les didn't say anything and sat in the chair next to the bed, "Well, hello." the doctor smiled.

Les looked up and gave her a half smile, "Hi."

Then he looked at me with his torn and painful expression. It made my heart break.

"Is he the father?" she asked.

I nodded and briefly glanced at Les and he kept his eye fixed on the monitor; watching the baby squirm around.

"You guys excited?"

I looked at Les and he didn't even glance back at me. I must've really hurt him after he confessed that he loved me.

Neither of us answered the doctor, "Okay then. So, uh did you want to know the sex of the baby?" the doctor asked Les.

"No." Les said quietly.

"Okay, Well, the baby seems to be doing great. Just make sure not to be under anymore immense stress Ms. Rose. It's not good for the baby." the doctor stated.

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Les tense up at the doctors statement.

"I'll try." I said quietly.

After the appointment me and Les walked out of the hospital, "Thanks for showing up." I said.