Chapter 3

"--- We must always be reminded that history..." I encircled the word that I've written on the board and continued, "...can never be changed or re- written. Not even money itself can change the fact that the past happened. You might be wondering, why do we have to preserve or learn our history when it already happened years ago? Besides the fact to avoid committing the same mistakes again--- through knowing our history, this is also a way to protect the REAL stories of our past from being re- written and erased by greedy and powerful people. Until there's still someone who knows and remembers history, it could never be changed. Forgetting the past is also in the same way, you're spitting right in the faces of the people who suffered and died just for us to have the life that we have today. It's a huge disrespect. I know that this subject for you can be sometimes be boring, but let me remind you that the lessons that we discuss every day, we are also talking about lives and experiences of TRUE people that have lived years ago. These are maybe only lessons for you but for the people before, it was a life and death situations for them. That's why I keep on emphasizing to you guys, YOU. CANNOT. CHANGE. HISTORY. Kung ikaw Ms. Nathalia,"

Pagtuturo ko sa isang estudyante ko.

"Kung ikaw, ipinaglandakan ng ex mo sa lahat ng tao na ikaw ang nanloko sa inyong dalawa when in fact, siya naman talaga ang nanloko, how would you feel? Of course, you'll be angered, right? Because that is not what really happened! Ganoon din sa history! History is backed up with evidences and proofs! Hindi lamang ito simpleng chismis chismis lang! Going back to the situation I gave awhile ago, yung ex ni Nathalia, walang pruweba na nanloko talaga si Nathalia but Nathalia got all the proof. You see, when you are armed with knowledge, not even the wealthiest man alive can fool you because you already know the truth! That is why many politicians do not even dare to try to improve our education system and give basic rights to the poor, because they know that they will thrive from their ignorance. Kaya hopefully as we go on through the year, I hope that you'll really internalize mga lessons natin and hopefully, you'd make good use of your knowledge and privilege wisely."

... School Bell Rings...

"Okay, I hope you've learned something? Nathalia example lang yung kanina ha?" Pabiro kong tanong kay Nathalia na siya namang ikinatawa ng klase.

"Nagkaroon pa ng manlolokong ex ng wala sa oras si Nathalia." Sabi naman ng isang kaklase nila.

"Okay guys! Please make an advance reading about the lives of German during Hitler's reign. Class dismissed! You may now go." I announced.

They immediately fixed their things and crowded their way, exiting the door.

While I was fixing my things, I heard a knock coming from the door. Pagtingin ko, it was my co- faculty member.

"Ay hello Ma'am Lopez!" Pagbati ko sa kaniya.

"Hello Ma'am Aguilar! Idadaan ko lang 'to kasi ipinapabigay raw sa'yo 'to ni Dean!" At naglakad siya papalapit sa akin para ilapag ang puting envelope sa aking table.

"Oh siya! Alis na ako Ma'am! Punta na ako sa next class ko." Pagpapaalam niya bago umalis.

I stared at the envelope for a while before I put it nicely in my bag.

Ano kaya 'tong letter na 'to? Pagtataka ko.

Nagpasya akong kumain mag- isa sa labas para sa aking pananghalian. The other profs invited me to join them but I just politely declined.

Napabuntong hininga na lamang ako nang ilapag ko ang tray ng pagkain ko sa lamesa.

I reached out the letter from my bag and decided to read it.