Chapter 15: Find Me (Part 1)

Michael picked me up from Alexander's house early on Saturday morning. Alexander surprised me, putting down his cup and shrugging on his coat with me.

"You'll come too?'' I asked him, delighted.

He grunted a yes.

Michael had come in one of the cars I'd seen parked in their garage, a Prius. He leaned against its side, the chill morning wind playing with his hair. He looked better rested than he had all week.

He offered me the keys. "Good morning. Gabriel said you wanted to drive?''

"Yes,'' I said, blushing. "But I don't know ...''

"We'll switch drivers whenever you like,'' he said.

I got into the driver's seat and he came around. Alexander climbed into the back.

"Brake, accelerate,'' I repeated after Michael, glancing down at the pedals.

"Keep your foot on the brake and put the car into reverse. Look behind us and ease your foot off the brake.''

We inched backwards.

"I can't see around Alexander's head,'' I said nervously. He slid down immediately. "Oh, thank you. Jane!''

She snickered from where she'd jumped behind me, and floated over to Michael's lap. "We agreed that no one is dying for the time being,'' I said, glancing at her, while I pushed hard on the brake.

Michael looked down at himself, his eyes widening. "Where is she?''

"In your lap, baby.''

"Just sit next to Alexander,'' I told her.

She made a face and floated through Michael to the back. "If you were a better actress, you could only pretend I moved,'' she complained.

"Okay, she's not in your lap,'' I told Michael.

He looked shocked. Alexander shot upright in the back.

"Is she in mine?'' he demanded.

"No, she's sitting next to you. She's pretending that she's putting on her seat belt right now.''

He slid back down, scowling.

"Alright, turn the wheel as you reverse - other direction. Good. Straighten out into the street. Good. Put the car in drive. Let's go.''

With some small hiccups and on a rather shaky path, I took us onto the highway, clinging to the right lane. But Gabriel had been right - it wasn't so bad to drive, even on the highway. I felt almost guilty at driving slowly enough that most cars passed us, but Michael wouldn't let me speed up to the speed limit.

"Well done,'' Michael praised, when we pulled into a Starbucks off the highway so we could stop and switch drivers.

He held the Starbucks door open, smiling down at me to indicate I should pass first into its heated interior. I didn't know why my heart beat faster as I walked by him, almost close enough to brush against his chest, and why it made me nervous that he and Alexander walked behind me where I couldn't see them. I stepped hesitantly to join the line to order, glancing back to check that they were with me; I wasn't used to leading.

Lately I felt like I was always in unfamiliar, unfamiliar territory. Even if I slowed down to think things through a hundred times a day.

They were quiet. It was the kind of quiet that came from a sleepy, happy morning, a first day of vacation, a Saturday when you had no plans. How funny that the start of my first trip ever looked like a day off for them. But there was as much peace as I'd ever seen on Alexander's face. A genuine smile - not the intentional kind he often produced for me, but an unself-conscious tilt to the mouth and eyes - lightened Michael's face.