Chapter 20: Kill Me (Part 1)

He shuddered, kissing her deeply, like a starving man.

I was terrified of what might happen.

But his hold eased. He let her go.

Oh, I thought in relief. He'll say no.

He tore himself away, covering his face.

"There's something else,'' he said, turning and walking quickly away. His shoulders were bunched, tense. Adelaide jumped down and followed him to the dark living room. My ghosts followed.

"There's a great deal we don't tell you,'' he said, his back still to her. "I feel as if I'm lying to you all the time.''

Adelaide touched his back. He sucked in a breath and turned to face her, but kept a distance.

"You have your reasons,'' Adelaide said. "I trust you. Don't tell me, I don't care.''

Say something that would never make sense, I prayed. Say something that will tell him there's something deeper wrong than a late, strange hour.

He laughed mirthlessly. "I see it in your eyes sometimes. Patient sweetheart. You're made of questions. What if you hated the answers one day? I can't ... I can't ... one day, when you know everything, and you're in a position to tell me what you want, I'll do everything you say. If you still feel this way -''

"I'll always feel this way,'' she said. "I'm telling you what I want right now.'' But she must have begun to understand that she was veering off character from me, because she switched gears.

She put a hitching little shiver in her voice. "I always have to be a sweetheart? I always have to stay quiet, following orders?'' Her voice fell to a whisper. "Can't I say how I feel?''

No, you can't! I screeched. Back off him!

"That isn't what I mean,'' he said, tensing. "Rose -''

"You hate me,'' she cried, turning away.

He took two long steps and caught her, embracing her from behind. "Never,'' he said. He pressed his lips to the crown of her head. "Never, never.

"Rose,'' he breathed, and his words took root in me. "I'll never change how I feel. You've replaced the sun for me. When you're happy then all is right with the world, and when you're not I'd do anything to fix that. You're everything to me. And I'll wait for you forever. Be certain of that. I'm always here. I'm always yours. Don't doubt that.''

She just turned and kissed him hungrily. He groaned, not pushing her away.

"Manipulative bitch,'' Jane seethed. "Enough!''

"Enough!'' Ellie echoed.

"We won't stop shouting!'' Jane roared. "You think you'll enjoy yourself with us here? We're not leaving! We're not stopping!''

Ellie opened her mouth and started screaming herself silly.

Adelaide plastered herself to Gabriel, her hands clenching in his hair.

He pushed her away, a look of anguish on his face. I felt how strong he was, that he held most of his strength back.

"Rose -''

"Ugh!'' She finally turned away herself, giving him her back, and went upstairs.

Jane and Ellie fell quiet, coming with her. I guessed that Puck and Robin came too, because I could hear Robin sniffling quietly.

Since Adelaide didn't look back, I couldn't see Gabriel. But I thought he stayed downstairs. I didn't hear the door open, anyway.

I rattled from what he'd said. From the force of his kiss. From the fact that he'd stepped back even though he'd fought himself to do it. I hated to think of the last glimpse I'd gotten of his anguished face.