Chapter 4

When school came to an end, Casper and Kat walked home together, having to avoid Nicky and Amber a few times.

Kat and Casper continue their conversation at home, going back and forth. Casper told Kat of his concerns and why he had so much unfinished business. He also told her about how troubled he felt and how being stuck in limbo was taking a toll on him.

Casper wanted to age, he was tired of being stuck as a twelve year old for as long as he could remember. He wanted a chance at life again and he told Kat all of this.

Kat felt bad for Casper, she knew one day she would pass away and Casper would be stuck here by himself unless, of course, Kat had unfinished business too.

Kat was understanding of all of it. It made her happy that Casper wanted to have a life with her. She enjoyed his company and they had a lot of laughs together. Casper understood Kat and she was grateful to have him around. He surely was the only one who paid attention more than anyone else.

The two of them then decide they will go down to Casper's father's lab and see if they can find any answers or any hidden potions lying around. They hadn't looked much in the lab before, and the idea of something that could help got them both excited.

As they began to go downstairs, James, Kat's father, is walking by and noticing Kat and Casper in a hurry. "Whoa, what's got you two all riled up?"

Kat looks at her father, her and Casper stopping in their tracks. She contemplates what her father might think. She tells him anyway.

James is surprised, but isn't quite sure if it's a good idea. "Should Casper go home to his father and mother?" James continues, reminding Kat that she missed her father and needed him in her life and that Casper and his parents need each other.

Casper and Kat frown at each other, they really cared about each other. Sure Casper missed his parents, he really did, but he needed to live a life here on Earth.

Casper explains to James how he feels and that he wants to be with Kat. Kat agrees. The uncles slip and, laughing at Casper and teasing him. There was no way a ghost and a girl could be together, but that's why they wanted to try and bring Casper back to life!

James crosses his arms, "You two are a little young to understand completely what love is, and what it means."

The uncles agree, mocking Casper even more. James finally turns to them, a bit frustrated and upset with their actions, he tells them to leave Casper alone and they float away annoyed with James for ruining their fun.

Kat and Casper frown once Fatso, Stretch, and Stinkie are gone. "Can't we just be friends for now? Maybe it'll become something else when we're older?" Kat tells her father.

James thinks on it, both of them continuing to plead with him. "Very well." He finally replies, "But this is for Casper's sake, besides, how are we so sure you'll actually find anything down there?"

"Worth a try!" Casper answers. Kat nods and the two of them continue downstairs after James wishes them good luck. They find the red armchair and Kat climbs onto it as it begins to run along the track down the stairs and into the floor.