Fall of The Damned,

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and

a night with no moon, and ... the anger of a gentle man.
━━━ Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear.

WINTER WAS COMING. The forests grew colder, the lands grew frigid. Aerion Targaryen was used to the snappy air and fields sprinkled with frost. Growing up in the North, getting used to it was the only choice he had. Fosterage was a custom in Westeros, one that just so happened to reach Winterfell by the hands of The Mad King. When he was of sane mind, he had sane ideas. It goes without saying that fosterage was also an alliance between men. Raise my son and I'll feed your cattle, provide wood for your hearth, shield you with my sword. And Rickard Stark? He was an man of pure honor.

That was what got him killed. Aerion feared it would do the same to the mans' second born son, Eddard. And after the death of Lyanna Stark, their friend Robert Baratheon was filled with nothing but boiling hot rage. He searched for someone to put the blame on, and while Rhaegar Targaryen, the firstborn son to King Aerys, was hundreds of miles away... His little brother was right beside of him. Aerion became a target, one that was inches away from the rebels war hammer.

For seventeen years, the Targaryen boy was forgotten by his father the King and raised by the noble Starks. He welcomed Roberts rage. He hated who he was. How he could never be Northern, no matter how badly he wanted it to be true. He was a Targaryen, through and through. With hair white as ice and fire running through his veins. He could never deny it. But Ned Stark would. And over a few words and shared cups, he had Aerion on his knee, pledging his loyalty and life to him.

This was what saved Aerion Targaryens life.

He just hoped it wasn't what would bring it to an end.