Chapter 9

OG's pov
When I got back to the bar it was already dark outside. I didn't plan on staying outside for so long but I lost track of time. Ser was casually sitting on a chair just staring at a glass of water. "You're back." He said in a quiet tone. That's unusual.. Is he still affected by the drug? "Why did you do that? It was stupid. You could have killed yourself..." I said trying not to sound worried but I failed. "Don't you think I'm not aware of that? I'm still feeling it's effects a little. Anyway how come you sound worried?"

"Because I can't just let you die here!"

"Sure thing. Anyway I'm gonna show you why I did something so foolish. Come with me." he said and stood up. I followed him to the window we used to climb on the roof. Why would he go here? He sat down on the edge and patted the empty spot next to him. I frowned but sat down next to him, I didn't like how close we were..

We sat there in silence for minutes. I took a look at the landscape, the flowers are still blooming. We never spend time to admire our surroundings even though our world has so much to offer. Now all that I have left of it is Ser. His presence is strong, calm and.. soothing. I felt him shift a little. Why do I feel comfortable around him? Maybe because I know that I can trust him, in fact right now I have no choice but to trust him with my life. We're supposed to be allies, he's not my enemy. My enemies are out there murdering innocents. Ser is here, stuck with me and trying to make the best of it. We might be stuck here for a long time.. I have to stay positive. My crew is going to kick their asses while I am gone. I shouldn't worry too much, after all there are many of us.
Now back to Ser, he's the reason why my hyper-awareness doesn't function properly sometimes and I keep wondering why. I am always mad at others but they don't have this effect on me. I can't figure out why it happens. I hate him but he's not my enemy so the hatred isn't that strong. Then what is it? It's like I'm so focused on him that my hyper-awareness is gone, that doesn't even make sense. It's there all the time, because it's a part of me. I seriously don't get it. "You know what would be great?" asked Ser all of the sudden. "What?"

"Light creatures in our world. I bet those morons would piss themselves." I chuckled

"Of course they would, even a rabbit can scare them, no joke intended. Anyway, Aspen doesn't seem to like talking about this topic."

"Just like the nightmares you sometimes have? I picked up your movement while you slept, definitely not normal."

"Tsk.. That's none of your business."

"I have to disagree. We're still in a different world, waiting until bloodthirsty creatures will try to kill us. We can't allow ourselves to be distracted."

"You are the biggest distraction! Sometimes when we argue my hyper-awareness doesn't work properly anymore!"

"So we both have this problem.. I've been thinking about it. I know one possible reason but it's absurd. It's probably just this weird world doing something to our senses."

"Yeah anything else wouldn't make sense. What do you make of Aspen?"

"She is nice, except for what happen earlier. Showed us part of her demon form and her abilities. She even told us about that terrible event which is going to happen soon. And she asked for our help. She trusts us. While we have been cautious and distant she easily trusted us. She wants two strangers who showed her almost nothing but hostility to help defend her world."

"You're right. She's half animal, so are her senses. It might not be hyper-awareness but her awareness is still good. She can distinguish between good and bad people just like we can. She shouldn't trust people like that, we're good people but others.. " my thoughts wandered back to HIM.. Since I told Aspen about him I can't seem to stop thinking about him. He follows me everywhere, even in my dreams.. The last encounter was so close... I subconsciously shook my head, he's not here, he can't get here. I'm safe? I feel safe.. Because Ser's here. "OG.." I heard him say gently. His eyes were looking at mine even though I know how much he despises it when others look at his eyes. "No nightmare should affect you this heavily. You talk in your sleep. You're one of the strongest people I've encountered, nothing can take you down so easily. What are they about?"
I can't tell Ser. I can't tell him how vulnerable I am. I can't show any weakness, I never can.