Chapter 8

Lisa has her eyes widened and mouth agape, looking at Jieun like what she just said is the most impossible thing to say. Or maybe it is truly impossible? Her cousin just mentioned demons, which, from what she knew, were extinct centuries ago.

Lisa took seconds to process her thoughts, opening her mouth to say something but closed it again when she couldn't think of what she wanted to say.

"What do you mean demon's power, Jieun?" she finally asks, but she's still not convinced. She believes Jieun is bluffing or making fun of her, and if she is, this is not a good prank at all.

"First and foremost, please address me as Ms. Lee. Second, I know what I felt when I was examining her. My power detected a different energy inside her body that I hadn't sensed before. I've memorized byul because she always comes here when she's injured, and I'm certain that immense force wasn't there before," Jieun clarified.

"That's impossible, and you know it. Demons were exterminated centuries ago. How could she have such power?"

Lisa's words reflected her confusion, as her brows creased and she gesticulated her hands clumsily as she spoke. Though what she stated clearly had a point and Jieun was aware of it, the older one also knew what she sensed a while ago wasn't something she made up on the spur of the moment.

There was something inside of Byul.

It's intense, it's dark, it's strong, it's... dangerous.

"I'm sure what happened earlier has something to do with this. Ask Dre what he did."

They are unfamiliar with Dre's ability or the power he employs, which is why they are unable to determine what happened to Byul at this time. That man is always keeping things to himself. He's isolated and secretive, and talking to him is nearly impossible. Lisa will undoubtedly struggle to squeeze answers to him later.

"Does moonbyul know about her condition?" Lisa inquired, concerned about the state of her newfound friend.

"No, I haven't told her anything and don't intend to."

Lisa looked at Jieun as if she had just said the most horrible thing in the world.

"What do you mean, Lee? She has a right to know."

Moonbyul's situation is unusual, and she should be aware of what is going on or what might happen in the future. Hiding this vital information from her is not advisable, neither for her nor for anyone else. She owns her body, so she has a right to know what's inside it.

Jieun just sighed and leaned back against the closed door.

"I'm not sure about that, Lisa. A demon's strength is lethal and dangerous, and if byul uses it for no good reason, it will be mass destruction to society."

Lisa furrowed her brows as if waiting for her cousin to explain what she meant. However, jieun had no intention of adding anything and simply stared up at the white ceiling above.

Lisa's face scrunched up even more.

"So.. you're saying Moonbyul will take advantage of that power and use it for... let's just say, evil deeds?" Lisa asked, clarifying Jieun's claims, and the latter simply nodded, causing Lisa to furrow her brows even more.

"Oh, come on, Lee! You know her better than I do. I've talked to her a few times, and I can tell she has a pure heart. I don't think she'd use that power for people's demise."

"You're right, I know her better than you, and I know telling her about this isn't a good idea. She's told me about her past and her hatred for those who wronged her. She's as evil as those who bully her, and the students in her high school have witnessed her ruthlessness. I'm afraid if she learns how to use the demon's power, she'll abuse it."