Over the Fence

"Aye, you," the girl started, sitting on one corner of the room. "I never got to know you. What's your name again? Floor-een? I heard some people call you Fleur-ayn. Which is it?"

Fluorine sat leaning against the other corner. "It's Fluorine. You're... Arsenic, right?"

"Yeah. Who told you?" Arsenic questioned. She gave Fluorine a surprised look, before leaning back and yawning.

"Xenon. She left a note saying you'd be here. And you're kind of a... notorious poisoner."

"No shit," the metalloid responded. "Tried to stay low-profile, but everyone has their eye on me because of the substance I represent. Thallium has an easier time staying unnoticed."

"Oh, well, you're no match for meMy name strikes fear into the hearts of chemists."

Arsenic cackled, dismissing Fluorine's proud attitude. "Your name is used over and over by dentists trying to convince conspiracy theorists that they are well intentioned."

"That's fluoride, not fluorine."

"Still you."

The room fell silent, its two occupants unsure of what to converse about, both restlessly eyeing the environment and one another for something to do.

"Say, Fluorine, since we are locked up here with nothing to do, how about I make you a little drink? Or paint your walls? Hmm? It's a nice colour."

Fluorine raised her eyebrows in suspicion. "I don't trust that coming from Arsenic."

Arsenic let out another cackle, before slapping Fluorine over the shoulder. "I'm joking, buddy, lighten up! What do you say we should do, since we have this afternoon to ourselves?"

"I don't know, but I have an idea that might be up your alley. I overheard from one of the administrators that the main water supply actually flows from here into the rest of the labs. What about we do a little prank?" Fluorine grinned wide, deviously looking over at Arsenic.

"I don't trust that coming from Fluoride." Arsenic gave a little wink, her mouth pulling up to the left in a smirk. "Let's do it."

The pair made their way to the elevator of the tower, where they were promptly stopped by Xenon.

"What are you two up to?" Xenon mumbled drearily and plainly, in low-energy noble gas fashion.

"Hey Xenon~" Fluorine purred. "Nothing, just going out for a walk."

"You know it's called containment for a reason, right?" blabs Xenon.

Arsenic slyly sashays to Xenon's side. "Yeeeeeeeeah, we'll just get ourselves some nice n' healthy Vitamin D and walk riiiiight back here, how about that?"

Xenon groans. She was probably given the responsibility of keeping the two mischievous elements in the tower. She just couldn't be bothered about what they'd get themselves into. With a final sigh, the noble gas responds. "Fine, whatever. Stay safe." She lumbers off, leaving them to their own devices.

The yard outside was barren. No bushes or flowers, just a large patch of thin grass with some rusty old barrels leaning to the side of the tower. Fluorine and Arsenic made their way over to the border of the yard. A wire fence was separating them from a large forest of trees.

"I think I hear the water flowing through the other side of the fence," Arsenic remarked.

"Nope, it's probably not here," Fluorine grunts. "Let's go back. It's a tall fence, even if that is the lab's water source, they'll know we did it. It's not worth it."

"Giving up so soon? I thought I made a friend there." Arsenic grins, giving a sly eyebrow twitch in Fluorine's direction. She knew how to pull her strings. "The fence looks like easy work. I'll go myself if you aren't willing." Fluorine took Arsenic's words like a punch to the guts. She took the bait. 

"Fine, let's go," Fluorine grunts, clearing her throat.

"After you," Arsenic nods, gesturing.

The pair of elements scaled the fence.