viii.

"what's that noise?"

"do you hear that?"

"the boys won't shut up."

"maybe someone should bang on the wall."

"yeah, that'll do it."

clang.

"is that enough?"

ellie turns her head into her pillow, trying to block out the 'whispers' of the rest of the girls in her dorm. unfortunately, theirs was right beside one of the boys' ones, which was extremely loud at the moment. the girls could hear everything going on in that room, and it was hilarious but bordering on actuallyoutofthisworldfrustratingiwishicouldpullmyearsoutofmyhead.

clang. clang. clang.

more knocks on the wall along with someone shouting 'shut up' to the boys.

"is what time? i mean- time, what it is? wait, no. wh—"

emma cuts off eleanor and replies 'time to get a watch' followed by '5.06 in the morning', after quickly checking the clock on her camera. she'd started filming a bit on the bus, and when they got there, but it didn't seem to be going anywhere.

"guys, let's just shut up and sleep. please. i'm begging you," ellie pleads from her top bunk. there's a murmur of agreement amongst the rest of girls, and besides the screeching of the metal bed frames, there's a relative silence.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU I WAS TRYING TO SLEEP I AM ACTUALLY SO MAD AT YOU RIGHT NOW I COULD PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE BUT I'M TOO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE. JUST GO AWAY. YOU KNOW WHAT? LEAVE. NOW."

everyone in the girls' dorm groans in unison when they hear the boys' room erupt into chaos. according to the sound of their door opening and closing, someone actually did leave. ellie can hear eleanor chuckling to herself at the events in the other room, but then her helpless giggles cease abruptly. ellie turns in confusion to their own dorm door.

knock. knock. knock.

"IT'S FIVE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING BOYS AND GIRLS. AND I NEED SOME SLEEP. YOU'VE WOKEN UP THE STAFF AND THE TEACHERS. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. BREAKFAST IS AT 7.00, AND MY GOD YOU BETTER BE READY. BECAUSE NO ONE IS IN THE MOOD TO BE TOLERANT TODAY, NOT ANYMORE. now could you shut up."

dead silence. everyone's in shock at the teacher's outburst. not even the beds make any noise, for once.

"thank you, so much," ellie mumbles to herself before tumbling back into her beauty sleep.

-

breakfast wasn't nearly as chatty as the night before. especially for the boys. john's head was almost fully submerged in his milo. the milo had spilled from his cup and was now covering the table. tk hadn't resurfaced from his cereal for about two minutes now. max looked a bit worried about him, but no one else cared very much.

the teachers didn't look too good either. all they did was death glare at the students who'd dare to look at them. ellie found it funny. but not really—she'd lost a lot of sleep thanks to the boys. actually, there was one guy who didn't seem at all affected by the morning antics.

"what's up with you? why aren't you so tired? and what really happened?" ellie questions the boy sitting in front of her.

his curly hair is as unruly as ever, but his morning voice is still squeaky and high-pitched like normal. ellie can feel the familiar butterflies in her stomach as his eyes meet hers. he quickly averts his eyes. ellie sighs, she's figured out that he absolutely hates eye contact.

"i'm a deep sleeper. i kind of slept through all of it, so i'm not too sure what happened." he quickly looks up and then back down at his cold toast. "sorry."

"that's fine. i'm normally a deep sleeper, too, but i guess it was just so loud."

max manages to pull tk's head out of his cereal, with nick's help.

"it's ok, tk you can get through this," max offers some support.

"you look like death."

"thanks, nick," tk narrows his eyes at his best friend.

"anytime."

"well," tk turns back to ellie, "i'll tell you what happened. that jerk, mitch, started screaming at five in the morning, waking everyone up, and telling us that the teachers had come an hour ago for breakfast calls, and thar it was now seven thirty. so everyone turned on him, but all he did was laugh at us. such a bitch. mitch the bitch."

eleanor joins the conversation, "mitch? from our bus? the one who sits at the back with joshua james joseph?"

"yeah, him," tk responds, his voice laced with hatred. "and we all started getting ready until nicky—nicole—checked his watch. we were so exhausted. it wasn't funny."

"okay, everybody," a tired-looking teacher steps forward. "you can go and get ready for your activities for the day, but then come back here at nine, nine precisely. well, i think that's all. you may go."

slowly, everyone begins to walk out of the great hall. mitch is no where to be seen.

-

literally this book is just such a #tb.