xv.

the night before had ended quite abruptly. after ellie had eaten dinner, they had to go straight back to their dorms and into bed. she didn't mind, the white water rafting was exhausting, and reminded her why she had dreaded the trip in the first place.

nick had sat next to her at dinner, and her heart never stopped racing—which she despised and loved at the same time. they'd said a quick goodbye, and then departed at into their sleeping quarters.

"what time is it?" ellie yawns, stretching and climbing down the ladder of her bunk to retrieve her clothes. "and what are we doing today again?"

emma laughs from the other higher bed. "where are we going today, mark?"

she says it with a horrible irish accent, which eleanor picks up on groggily from under her pillow.

"i think we're going into town," amy informs the rest, "and the mosque and market."

slowly, the girls are able to start functioning like normal human beings and gather their things.

"wait, a mosque? so we have to wear longer trousers and stuff, right?" ellie queries. eleanor nods her head, pulling on some checkered leggings.

amy looks through her things frantically. "oh no! eheu! i don't have anything!" eleanor shrugs and tosses her some jeans. amy thanks her profusely until eleanor tells her to shut up.

emma sighs, sulking down the creaky ladder at a snailish pace. she sighs after changing, realising her and eleanor have practically the same outfit. neither of them can be bothered to change so they roll with it. ellie shoves her bag underneath the counter along the back wall and ties her shoe laces.

standing up, she calls to her friends, "who's ready? i want food."

the others race to hurry, not wanting to be the last one out. as they trek across the field, they're met by max, tk, nick and john. nick greets ellie with a halfhearted 'morning' and she offers him a shy smile in return. tk and max are deep in conversation, emma and john soon joining in. eleanor trails behind, kicking up leaves in the grass like a loner.

the group sits in a row at the table when they reach the great hall. the noticeable fuss that's going on between the other students causes them to look around in confusion.

eleanor gasps. "there's no food. today's the day. it's today."

john turns around with a 'what are you on about?' face.

she looks at him in the eye with a pale face. "we have to buy our breakfast. and buy food for dinner. and cook our dinner. over a fire we've made. and then eat that dinner."

the looks of horror begin to arise on the faces of the nearby students.

"this is going to be a long day," ellie sighs, looking towards nick. he nods his head in agreement.

"but at least it won't be too boring," he says positively.

ellie tilts her head to the side. "why not?"

nick starts laughing to himself before replying. "i think it'll be extremely funny to watch you cooking."

-

when everyone's finished eating, the chatter slowly dies down as the head teacher walks to the front of the four tables and looks around in disapproval.

"we're going to the mosque today... your trousers should be ankle length."

the students whisper in confusion and the teacher silences them and tries to get their attention. ellie rolls her eyes at the commotion caused already.

"it said on the kit list- we need to be respectful to the locals."

michael pulls out his own version of the kit list and skims it over. "miss, it doesn't say so here."

ellie asks for the sheet of paper and, sure enough, it doesn't say. not that it bothers ellie- she has loads of ankle-length leggings. eleanor eyes the jeans that she lent to amy and sighs along with emma.

"change. all of you. now. and be back in five minutes."

immediately, groups a and b sprint towards the dorms on the other side of the grounds. emma and eleanor have to borrow some of ellie's clothes. she doesn't mind, and offers eleanor some batman ones and emma some red plaid ones. neither of their outfits were co-ordinated but they didn't really care. then they proceeded back to the great hall where different groups were dispatched onto buses and into the local village.

-

ellie and nick were put in charge to supervise the rest of their group for getting ingredients. they were given the money and a list of food items which they needed to purchase. being awkward, they handed over the money to someone else to handle. the two ended up trailing behind everyone talking about all the weird fruits they saw.

as they're walking, an older lady walks up to nick. out of shyness, he backed away a little, when ellie was super excited to meet someone.

"hello," she greets. ellie smiles and nods back to her. nick gives a small smile, too.

the old lady then points a finger at nick. "you."

nick points to himself and asks, "me?" the lady nods her head and laughs.

"you look like harry styles."

nick looks nervously at ellie, as if to ask if it's a compliment or not. ellie can't stop laughing and makes a comment on how awkward he is. nick shakes his head and pulls a hysterical ellie away from the fruit stands and to catch up with the rest of their group, who have now finished collecting the ingredients.

once they're caught up, their group leader gives them a little backstory on the village. emma's almost falling asleep, but nick and ellie are too wrapped up in conversation to hear the story.

ellie pokes nick in the side, "come on, harry styles. sing something." nick shyly turns his face away from her, blushing. ellie starts singing some one direction, to which nick smiles.

"you have a nice voice," he compliments. it's ellie's turn to blush now. emma sees them and rolls her eyes.

"i'm gonna die."

-

ugh there hasnt been an update in ages. tbh i forgot i had this story lols