Him or Me

Apr. 2025
            My plan was faulty. I did not anticipate his emotional response to this, I underestimated how much he cared for her. After all, how would I know that he loved her so intensely? My plan was a failure. Killing her didn’t push him back into his studies, it only made him even more unfocused. That girl’s appearance ruined his resolve, but her disappearance caused him to break. And I even went through the trouble to strew her remains throughout the school.

But then I eventually realized; I didn't do it for him. I did it for me.

- 1.9.21 -

*****
"It was you?"

I continued staring at the man in front of me, my fiancé. Those outlying classmates won the bet, I was going to be married to my high school rival, something I thought was impossible. But now it was coming to an end, because I decided to show him just how dedicated I was to him.

I showed him what I did so that he would always succeed. I gave him my journal as my vows, to show him how far I would go. From what he said, I could tell he stopped reading once he had read what I did for him in our highschool years.

"She was an obstacle I needed to remove. She was an obstacle that you needed to be removed."

As he moved to grab his phone, I felt my heart drop and a feeling of panic set in. I knew what was happening, he was going to call the cops and turn me in. I had one thought in my head as he grabbed ahold of his phone.

I can’t let him do it. I won’t lose.

*****

As I stood over his dying body, seeing the life leave his eyes, I told him once again, "I always win."

Once I was sure he was dead, I bent down to kiss his forehead. I really did learn to love him, and he would have known that if he read further into the journal. I flipped to the last entry I made in the journal, wanting to see the words he never saw.

I didn’t want to feel this way, I thought it would never happen. I didn’t know it was possible to love someone after doing something like I had.

- 1.9.21 -

I had ended that entry like I had many before, 1.9.21. The numbers correspond to letters, AIU, it was something I had been told when I was younger, it was meaningful to me, and I had shared it with him. I looked back at his body as I said it to him.

“あい you, my dear rival.”

I love you.