Chapter Fifteen

I sit crossed legged on the bed in Hara's hotel room. The moon reflects upon the ocean and waves lap the beach. The sights and sounds are far more tranquil than they have any right being, on a night like tonight. Possibly the night of my death. A raw breeze, thick with the scents of the sea, slips through the ajar balcony doors. Hara stands and pushes the doors closed.

The sounds of outside fade behind the glass doors and I become increasingly aware of the ticking clock. The unstoppable passage of time. Hara returns to her seat at a dressing table and stares at her reflection whilst she finishes applying her make up. Perfume sprays on either side of her neck and the sweet floral scent fills the entire room.

Hara stands, a silky midnight blue dress flows like a river from neck to ankle, clinched loosely at her waist with a golden plaited belt. Freshly washed blonde hair rolls past her shoulders and simple diamonds sparkle in her ears.

Hara smiles, nervously. "How do I look?" She grabs a velvet handbag, and the chain strap slips over her shoulder.

I shake my head. Words don't come, I choke on emotion instead. Today was supposed to last an eternity, but it didn't. The clocks will argue, but I guarantee it was Arrah's shortest day. An abnormality, just to torture me.

I shuffle to the edge of the bed and stand. "Let's just go, disappear—"

"You know we can't do that. We have no credits, no car ... how would I get Tonan back? You'd be spotted, you're the only entra on Arrah." Hara threads her hands through mine. "We're going to do the job. When it's time to leave the target's house ensure you're the last one outside."

"Why?"

"Do you trust me?" Hara asks.

"You don't trust me," I say seriously and snatch my hands from Hara.

"I trust you ... but sometimes you don't know when to keep your mouth shut," Hara says, with a grimace. "You just need to concentrate on the job, if Garge suspects anything, he'll shoot you there and then."

"Sorry you got lumped with the fuck up." I walk to the door and pull it open. "Time to go."

Sirin leans against the wall opposite and flashes a condescending smile. "Ready to go ladies?" he grins, his leering eyes on Hara.

I step in Sirin's line of sight and glare at him, but he just laughs. He beckons us to follow as he walks away, and annoyingly we follow. We pause at a corridor and by a sign that reads, 'bar and restaurant this way'. Sirin gestures to the corridor and his closely cropped blonde hair shines under the artificial lights.

"I'll see you later Ramet," Hara says, in a small voice.

I glance to Sirin, he's staring, and back to Hara, she wants a proper goodbye. A kiss, an, I love you maybe, but I can't perform under Sirin's leering gaze. He laughs, enjoying my discomfort to the maximum.

"See you later." I turn away. I brush past Sirin. No, I pause, my feet planting into the floor. we're not leaving it like this.

I turn and jog down the corridor after Hara. She smiles as she faces me and wraps her arms round my neck. Our lips meet. It's a goodbye kiss, a, you might die before I see you again, kiss. I bite her lip and then rest my forehead against hers.

"I think I messed up your lipstick," I whisper and laugh sadly.

Hara's eyes glisten, like they're ready to rain a monsoon. "I love you."

I swallow the impulse to fight against the statement. "I love you too. And I trust you. I won't fuck this up."

Hara's hands unclasp from around my neck, and I watch as the dull clack of her heels meets the carpet. Sirin is still grinning as I approach, hands in my jacket pockets, head held high. The speed of my walk increases, I bluster past Sirin, and he jogs to catch up.