Defiance

"Lo Siento."

I sat at the dinner table, in a daze. I thought to myself, weighting the pros and cons of every single thing that could happen. Looking up at Bruno's door and back down at my hands, "I'm sorry Tio, but I can't allow you to take such a risk."

I rushed into my shared room with my brothers and grabbed a leather backpack and neatly folded clothes and putting them into it. Seeing my brothers sleeping faces I went to each of them and whispered my farewells. Before leaving our room I looked back from the door. "I'm doing this for us, for mother."

Pushing down the clothes in my bag and putting fruits and water, anything I can think of to bring not knowing the journey to and from.

Turning around suddenly I bumped right into someone, my older brother. "Isa Camila Castillo, you didn't think of sneaking out were you." I avoided his burning stares, "No I, I was just going on a walk." He took my hand, "If you bring me with you I won't wake up Tio Bruno." "You tattle.. you can come but quickly get ready and don't you dare wake up Luis." Nodding, he ran back into the room quickly and quietly and appeared again a few minutes later.

"Okay, I made sure Luis was sound asleep before I left, all we have to do is sneak into Tio's room and get his stuff so he can't come after us." he proudly proclaimed. "Okay good, I'll do it." turning around to head towards the room, stopping in my tracks immediately. "You sly rats, you forgot to check my bed if it was really me Julio." Luis grinned with a bag on his back and another across his chest.

I hit Julio on the arm before walking up to Luis. "Hey!! I thought it was him okay!!" he whisper shouted at me, hurrying to following. "Tip Bruno is a light sleeper, how did you do it?" I asked, glaring at my brother. "You're not the only sneaky one in this house Isa." lifting himself away from the wall and towards our house entrance. "I figured one of you, if not both you, would try and do something like this and I can't leave my baby siblings on their own now can I." ruffling Julio's hair and pinching my cheek.

Swatting away his hand I smiled at him, "I'm relieved to be honest, before we go there is one more thing." They both raised an eyebrow at me while I tapped 2 fingers on the floor boards. Rats skittered around until one came onto my hand, "They have to know the way to encanto can't they? Tio Bruno brought them with him did he not." "Good thinking, let's hurry now, it'll be morning soon and I want to get out of here before he wakes up."

We closed the door to our house, stepped back a bit to stare at the place where we grew up, the place we might not have. We might not even be alive if mother never came here. "Let's take the donkeys and a wagon, I've been saving up money so if we pass by anywhere along the way we can buy things we need." "I didn't think of that.." I whispered, mentally slapping myself for being hasty in our departure.

A few minutes later we were down the hill with our 4 donkeys and a wagon, I sat down my back facing Luis and Julio. Watching the sun slowly rising, waiting for the lights in our home to turn on. It never did.

————————————————————————

A/N:2 short chapters in 1 hour, I think that's a record. I'm also trying to stay up as long as possible so my brain doesn't stop thinking so I can continue writing. Also a great way to miss church! Pretty sure it's a cult but we won't get into that.

Word Count:660