1: in memoriam

Autumn (pov)

"Gracie, I know this is gonna be hard for you. But please remember that all I want for you after this is a fresh start." Steve said, after Bucky left the room.

"Where am I getting a fresh start? I've spent half of my life under the control of HYDRA and Dreykov. I can't belong anywhere other than in Wakanda. They don't judge me there."

He sighed, "I know. Just try, for me. For Nat. she'd want you to live a full life. I've already asked Rhodey to give you and Bucky full pardons by the government-"

"Steve, that's only gonna fix half my problems! Thank you for that, though. It'd be nice to walk the streets of the US in the open again."

I must've had some other emotion written on my face and Steve was quick to notice, like always.

"It's about Bucky too, isn't it?"

"What about Bucky?"

"Gracie, I know my best friend. And you know him too. Just work it out for me, please."

"That's- oh my god! Steve, that was so long ago. I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel the same anymore."

"What he says and how he looks at you still are completely different. May want to talk about it with him."

"I can't believe you, Steve Rogers. I'll miss you, though."

"I'm gonna miss you too."

I was pulled out of my thoughts from the knock on my bedroom door.

"Hey, Autumn. Are you ready," Sam asked.

"Uhm, yeah. Just need to- oh shit. Where'd I put them?"

He pointed out to me what I was missing, my shoes. And there they were, right next to my closet door. It's been six months since half the world has come back from being Blipped, me included. And six months since Steve went back in time and lived the life he's always wanted, with Peggy.

"You don't have to go with me, you know that right," Sam said, reassuring me.

"I know. I just need to, for Steve's sake. Plus, they invited me and my government pointed therapist said I had to go. All a part of my 'healing journey'."

"Oh right. How's the therapy going?"

"Shitty. Just kidding, it's better than I expected. According to her, this can be considered the last appointment then I'm free."

"Nice. Now, let's head out. We can get some food after it's done."

Food afterwards? Count me in.

We were a walking distance from my apartment to the Smithsonian. So we headed out and made our way there. While on the way there, I asked him why he was giving it to them instead of keeping it. He said that it belongs there and told me that he can't be what Steve was and represented. I understood that to a degree and respected his decision.

I don't know if Bucky was invited to this, even if he was I don't expect him to show up since he lives in New York. A selfish part of me is hoping he shows up, we are the only few people in the world that have known Steve since childhood.

When Sam and I arrived we made pleasantries with everyone there. It was good to know that the shield was going to be somewhere safe and to be hung up as a memorial for Steve's legacy.

The speeches that were made by the museum's curators were touching. But nothing could compare to Sam's.

"Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful. And he mastered posing stoically. The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil. We need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in. Symbols... are nothing without the men and women that give them meaning. And this thing... I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up, and he's gone. So today, we honor his legacy. But also, we look to the future. So, thank you, Captain America. But this belongs to you."