Distortion: Story One: Harleen: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Harley sat there for a while, crying. Unanswered questions floated around her head. How old am I? Do I have a family? An ID? A job? What happened to me? How will I make money?

She reached into her pockets, then emptied them onto to her lap to examine the contents. Five bucks, some candy wrappers, a lighter, and a Swiss Army Knife.

Why do I have a knife? Whatever, this stuff is pretty useful. She stuffed the items back into her pockets and trashed the candy wrappers, then assessed her situation.

Well, i'm a homeless, jobless amnesiac, and i'm VERY, VERY HUNGRY. The strange clown-man she'd seen had said that she'd been asleep for almost a week, right? So, she needed food. Right now.

She couldn't afford a restaurant, so maybe she could find something at the nearest small shop. Harley spent the next thirty or so minutes looking for somewhere to buy food. Finally, she found a CVS and settled on some beef jerky(Jack Links, obviously) and a MexiCoke, because why not.

She ate as if she was eating the last food on earth, but forced herself to save the remainder of the beef for later. Now. The money situation. I'm at rock bottom and no experience in— well, anything. I don't even know what city i'm in.

Then she saw a teenage girl about her age selling hot cider on the sidewalk. Well, it's a start. Harley walked up to the stand and smiled.

"Hi!" The girl gave a little jump, then asked,

"Are you here to buy cider?" Harley shook her head.

"Actually, I was wondering if you needed any help... I need a job." The girls face softened, and she said,

"Sure. I'm Eileen, but you can call me Eli. What's your name?"

"Harley." Eli grinned.

"Ok. You can help me with making more cider. Just take it out of the jug, heat it up, and put it in a mug, then put on whatever topping the customer asks for. I do all the selling and talking and stuff." 

As they worked, Harley thought about what she could do for a real job, eventually. Well, i've always loved music.

She continued working the whole afternoon when Eli offered her lunch.

"Really?" No one had ever been this kind to her... I think. Eli nodded.

"Of course. There's a nice Greek restaurant down the street, Dimas Deli."

(A/N: Yes, this is an omage(did I spell that right?) to Only Murders in the Building)

"Thank you so much!" The two walked slowly down to the restaurant, talking. Eli seemed like a really nice person. They reached the restaurant and Harley ordered a simple Greek salad and some ice water, not really wanting to take advantage of Eli's kindness. As they talked and got to know each other, Harley knew that she and Eli would probably become good friends.

Hi! Cec here, just want to know your opinion on something. Do you imagine Harley liking Punk Rock or Heavy Metal, or something else? This will be important to the rest of the story*hint hint*... 🤘🏻🎸🥁🎤🥁🎸🤘🏻