Distortion: Story One: Chapter Five

When the figure landed in front of them, the girls jumped back in horror. It was the man who she'd seen when she woke up, and he looked... unstable. It was petrifying, actually. His strange clown makeup was smeared, and his expression seemed angry and pleading at the same time. But mostly angry. Harley gasped— she had been trying to forget him. He grimaced.

"Harley... I have been looking... everywhere... for you. I have searched... the entire... GODDAMN CITY... Where the HELL have you been?!" Harley's friends looked at her, eyes wide. Eli stepped up.

"You... you know the Joker? What the hell?" Harley shook her head vigorously, trying to ignore her friend's hurt and betrayed expressions.

"No, no! I don't even know who this is!" Carlotta gaped at her.

"Harley, this is the Joker! The effing Joker!" Harley stepped back and tripped over a sewage drain. The strange man— the Joker, as her friends called him— caught her and pulled her backwards. She tried to scramble away, but he kept a viselike grip.

"Don't touch me, weirdo!" She pried at his hands, stepped on his feet, kicked him, but he wouldn't let go. He pulled a damp cloth out of his pocket and pressed it against her face. Her friends backed away, but then began to giggle, then laugh hysterically— but their faces showed expressions of pure terror. Laughing gas, Harley thought, then questioned herself. How the hell do I know that? She fought to keep her eyes open, but eventually the world began to fade as she slumped and everything turned black.