Chapter Five

I feel my entire body grow hot with fear. My lips part as I try to think of anything to say, but my mind draws a blank.

"Hey, Luke. Long time no see?" He laughs dryly, trying to casually speak to me as if he isn't aware of how much I don't want to talk to him.

I swallow hard and step on my foot.

"Do you... need something?" I ask, putting on a fake nice attitude. I don't want Conner to hear or see how upset I am, because then he'll probably get mad.

"What? I can't just talk to you without needing something?" He asks, sounding seriously offended. I look at my feet and shrug a little. He sighs.

"Look, I just want to talk, okay? I've missed you." I resist the urge to roll my eyes out of the back of my head at his words and just blink instead.

"Why do you... miss me? You... seemed pretty clear with... how you felt about me when you broke things off." I point out. I know I'm really testing my limits here. He's already getting annoyed with me, I can see it in the way he starts to glare.

"I was going to apologize for it but you blocked my number. Remember? I just needed a break, okay? Fuck, you take things so seriously all the time." He spits, rolling his eyes. It makes me indescribably angry. Why does he get to be upset about this, and not me? Why am I always the emotional one?

"I'm sorry." I mumble quietly. As angry as I am inside, my fear outweighs everything. All I am at the end of the day is this shy, frightened person. No wonder he's always so annoyed by me. I'd hate me too.

Maybe I don't have the right to be angry. I deserved how he treated me when we were together.

"It's fine, I'm sorry too. Listen Luke, I've had a lot of time to think recently and, I think we should try again. You've missed me too, right?" He asks with a smirk. He's so cocky. He has this attitude like he expects me to fall right back into his arms, and maybe I would've months ago, but not anymore. I know I'm still weak, but I've grown a little stronger. Strong enough at least to know that our relationship wasn't something I wanted at all, and definitely not something I want again. Not ever again.

Plus, any feelings I had for him have completely disappeared. I think they did the moment he left me alone in my room.

"I- I um, I don't think that's a good idea." I reply, not able to meet his eyes as my hands start to shake where I've hidden them behind my back. I don't want him to see how scared he makes me. He'd probably just use it to taunt me.

"Why not? Aren't you in love with me?" He asks, anger rising in his voice. I don't like it when he's angry.

"I loved you, but... everything happened and, I moved on. I'm sorry." I reply, nearly whispering from how terrified I'm beginning to feel. I think he's just about ready to start yelling at me now. That's how it usually goes with him.

"Moved on? In three months? To who?" He seethes, taking a step towards me. He's not going to hit me, but he always acts like he will because he knows how much it scares me.

"Do you have a problem, mate?" I snap my head up and see Ashton coming to my side. In all of this, I had forgotten he was coming over. What a relief it is to see him, though.

"It's him isn't it? I was right from the beginning, wasn't I? You fucking whore, you've probably been fucking him-" He jabs his finger into my chest so hard I know it'll bruise, but the word whore bruises me even more.

I feel like throwing up the second he touches me.

Before I can even begin to react or reply, Ashton is pushing him away from me hard.