Chapter Two: Summer Breeze

In a vibrant, fluorescent green grassland, where hills rolled and curved like a roller coaster track and a rainbow stretched across the sky, an honest-to-goodness joyland was singing with excitement. As the sun cast its cheerful yellow glow over this kingdom, the streets of town came alive as its inhabitants raced excitedly onto them, ready to have loads of fun and bask in the lovely weather. The boundless jubilation of the land was especially reflected through its young ruler, Princess Unikitty.

Today, the feline princess, who was renowned for her blue unicorn's horn and charming demeanor, was playing with her fun-loving younger brother, a dog with a yellow horn named Puppycorn. Every book Puppycorn had been asked to read from fall to spring by their adult friend Richard was in the trash bin, and Unikitty had forgotten to make her bed and clean her room. With so many parties waiting to be thrown and so many adventures waiting to be had, tidiness wasn't something she'd take a second to consider.

"I'm coming to save you, Peacock Jade! Chhh! Neeeeeeooooow!"

Puppycorn hoisted a toy biplane as high into the air as he could reach and let it fly around his room, giving it life with his own sound effects. Inside the plane sat one of his action figures, a toy snowman with a bandaged arm. The snowman bravely piloted his plane through the hot summer weather, simulated by the sun's rays blaring through Puppycorn's circular window. It wasn't an easy mission; it required him to maneuver between steep plateaus, represented by the hamburger ottomans, and over a boiling hot sea of lava, which was the ball pit. His objective was to hack the computer, which kept up the barrier of stood-up books guarding a rectangular fortress made of building logs. A peacock doll, played by Unikitty, had been imprisoned within it by a terrifying stony monster. Just when the courageous snowman was deciphering the mysterious code of the keyboard to find the password, Puppycorn and Unikitty heard a low, monotone voice from outside the door.

"Hello, guys? Are you in there? Please come out..." it said.

Unikitty put down the toys she'd been holding and went towards the door. "Yeah?" she asked. "What is it, Richard?"

"Sorry to interrupt your playtime, you two, but we have to go..." Richard told the siblings.

"Oh, sorry, Rick! We're a little busy right now," the feline said to him. "Can we finish up first? Blizzard still needs to break the Mega Fortress barrier to save Peacock Jade."

"Princess, he can do that later. Are you going to come out or just play all day? Remember the summer festival we're planning?" he asked, a bit impatient.

"But not while THAT happens! Thanks for reminding me, Rick!" Unikitty exclaimed, her eyes lighting up with glee.

To her, there was something to celebrate every day, whether it was a holiday like Christmas, Halloween, or Valentine's Day, or just an average day, on which she felt like bringing all of her friends in the Unikingdom together. She also loved to throw a party when the first chills of winter coated the land with rime, or when summertime weather began to heat things up. This year, as everyone enjoyed their much-needed relaxation time after many long, stressful work hours, Unikitty and her friends were cooking up something special for all of them. It was nothing too wild- just an epic kingdom-wide celebration to ring in the summer in style. So far, the outdoor dance floor was all set, the fireworks machines were ready to go, every swimming pool and beach was pristinely clean, and Unikitty had found the perfect recipes for fruit salads, smoothies, and ice cream floats.

Unikitty grabbed a pair of rose-colored heart-shaped sunglasses and took Puppycorn by the hand. The two raced out the door and down a flight of stairs to the kitchen, where Unikitty's avian-reptilian bodyguard, Hawkodile, sat at the table waiting for his lunch. Richard, a floating gray brick, hovered to the fridge to serve himself a glass of water.