Chapter Eight: Raiders vs. Downers

Germafrost lay on the ground, on his side, his brain sinking to the bottom of his head. By this time, he was on the other side of the field. His mouth had dried up like a raisin again, and hunger was burning up his stomach from the inside. Time was hazily blurring together, and he hadn't yet found the bronze scoop-looking stick. If he needed another hint from that Hazz guy, it had to come soon. He had told him that said stick was probably hidden near a metal structure, more likely one built out of metal beams. The frames of these stands were just the type with their many L-shaped beams and poles, so it was likely blending itself in with them. It was easy for the stick to hide here, but unluckily impossible for him.

His senses swayed like he'd just left a stirring pool at a waterpark, and phantom waves were still pushing him backward as his fur was drying off. He'd quite literally turned this spot upside down, so he wanted to get up and find another place to search. That was what he'd be doing right now if he had any slivers of energy to move with. If you asked Germafrost how he'd rank himself in terms of how active he was, he'd say he was moderately active, or about as active as a guy his age should be. This whole thing was a mix of painful, scary and confusing.

The last time this had happened to someone in Germafrost's life was to his maternal grandfather, back when he was only a puppy. Even so, he'd only seen him once or twice at the occasional royal gathering. So, when the news arrived at the castle door, the only response invoked in him was a brief, simple "Oh."

For the next few months, he'd seen his mother with her face hanging low and hadn't heard one sound coming from her during important royal duties. It was a drastic change from the chatty, newsy mama he'd gotten to know. In the late afternoons, he couldn't find her in her usual places. As it turned out, she'd started going to bed at earlier times, and so he and his siblings were often told to quiet down. Some days, his papa felt the need to rest with her, so the pups were looked after by their parents' staff until it was their bedtime. All the while, Germafrost watched her from the other side of the room, unable to find words or actions.

The simple impression he'd gotten that she wasn't feeling alright was an underestimation of how bad it would be. It was like he was a chip-ball player in his prime, leading his friends and loved ones to victory. But then, a devastating accident had him benched indefinitely, and no one would let him play again, not even his own body. He was doomed to sit on the bench until the season was over, or until he was at least okay enough to head back on the field, whichever came first.

The only thing his body and mind allowed him to do was listen to the commotion behind him. He hadn't yet seen the white specks landing right next to his ear.

Wait- white specks landing next to his ear?

"Please, PLEASE, not again..." he thought.

Of all the things his clouds could have chosen to ruin, why did it have to be a chip-ball game? If he wasn't... wasn't nothing right now, basically, he'd look for a good spot to watch the game in secret. It would've been the perfect way to take his mind off of everything that had been going on lately.

That idea brought him back to when he'd kick a ball around the castle when he probably should have been reading up on his notes from the last low sugar awareness meeting. He'd often leave that to his sister, for she was next in line to assume the throne. It was also because, even though neither of them could keep a conversation going, at least she didn't immediately shoo other people away. Sometimes, Germafrost couldn't even bring himself to go near them.

When there was a chip-ball in front of him, he could give it a push with his paw and watch it cruise along the ground for hours at a time. The way it moved was so attention-grabbing that there was seemingly nothing but the ball. Passing moments swirled with excitement, wonder, and little chip-ball-patterned discs popping out of his head as Germafrost sent the ball rolling, going wherever it took him. Other than where it was going to stop, nothing else mattered. The ball was a very close friend of his, and when they'd gotten to know each other well enough, it decided to acquaint him with the sport it came from. It also introduced him to some teammates to share his newfound love of tackles and shots with. The thrills of working together to score a goal blew all of Germafrost's inhibitions away every single time.