Chapter 4

Ace brought me to his house. It had been a silent car ride. He didn't even look at me but he did keep his hand clamped down on my thigh. Every time his grip tightened too much, I would wince and he would immediately loosen it and start rubbing at the spot in soothing circles with his thumb.

When we got to his house, I had protested when he tried to carry me like a child but he had just growled and shoved my face into his neck. To my relief, he placed me on my feet once we were inside, but didn't let go of me. He started to lead me to the living room but I stopped him.

"I have to go to the bathroom," I said.

He grunted in acknowledgment. "Come to the living room when you're done." Then he walked away from me.

After I had taken care of my business, I tentatively padded to Ace's living room, feeling like a dog with its tail between its legs. I found him sitting on a big leather chair, waiting for me.

"Come here," he said.

I didn't have the energy to argue with him. Once I was in front of him, he gripped my waist and tugged me forward so I fell into his lap, straddling him. I sighed and leaned my head on his shoulder, just letting myself enjoy the feeling of his arms around me instead of worrying about everything that had happened that day. His touch helped. It was like a drug that kept me calm and made me feel secure.

Ace seemed to have a similar thought process to mine. He let me sit and bask in his hold as he massaged my sides, purring quietly in contentment.

After a few minutes, he broke the silence.

"Tell me who made you cry."

I moaned in exasperation. I didn't want to talk about this right now. "No one made me cry, Ace."

"Don't lie to me. And don't try telling me that bullshit story you told the principal. I know you don't get your period for another two weeks."

I snapped back to look at him. "How the hell do you know that?"

His expression hardened. "Swear one more time and you won't like the consequences."

I gulped.

His eyes softened again. "I know everything about you, Doe—except why you were crying today," he continued. He gripped my waist a little tighter. "Now, don't make me ask again."

My forehead fell onto his chest in defeat. I looked down at my fidgeting hands in my lap, my nerves skyrocketing. "It was stupid, really."

Ace didn't say anything. He just played with my hair, waiting for me to continue.

"I got a bad grade," I finally said. It wasn't a lie, just not exactly the whole truth. "On the science midterm. And I know it's not a big deal but I really want to get a perfect GPA and that one test is going to ruin the entire thing."

His hand gripped under my chin and tilted my head up so I was looking at him. He studied me for a second. "Is that all that happened?"

I nodded. There was no way I was going to tell him about what Ben said to me. Who knew what he would do to him if he found out?

"I've never gotten a grade lower than an A in my life," I continued.

"Why did you leave the classroom? I told you not to leave until I came for you at the end of the class. You ran from Madoc."

"I know. I just didn't want anyone to see me cry."

Ace paused, almost as if he was waiting for me to say more. When I didn't, he let out a low growl. "That's not what Madoc told me. Now, stop deflecting and tell me exactly what that motherfucker, Ben, said to you to make you so upset."