Chapter 15

"How's your studies going?" Navya asked, while riding her mustard yellow gear bicycle

"Oh" Akanksha snorted, "You sound like my mom"

Navya let out a dry chuckle. "Is everything okay with you and your parents?"

"I left my waitress job and I am going to tuitions, after all. It's a moo point" Akanksha confessed, the minute her parents found out about her secret job, they forced her to leave the job and join her tuitions. She hated it but she also needed them, it was a necessary evil for her.

"Okay, Joey" Navya commented sarcastically about Joey Tribbaini, one of the main character from TV show F.R.I.E.N.D.S

"How's it going with your parents?" Akanksha pushed the pedal with much force , applied

"Not good, I barely talk with my father as he is always busy and my mom..I stopped talking to her. My family is broken, nothing really good happens here" Navya said realising how alone she is, her family was already broken, even when her parents were together, the divorce just showed how broken they were.

Akanksha felt pity, "I'm sorry, but to make you feel better. Every family is broken, in some kind of way."

Navya slightly chuckled, "Are you going to the New Year picnic, in which Viren asked you out?"

"He didn't ask me out, he...invited me" Akanksha said

Navya gave her the 'you know what' look.

"Whatever. You are having a pretty amazing life" Navya accelerated her cycle's speed

"Trust me, I am not" Akanksha fastened her speed, as well.

Akanksha invited Pari and Tanya as well to the New Year's picnic at a local tourist spot on a hill. The group included Piyush; because he was a family friend of Viren, Ansh, Adarsh, Suraj, Sapna some from other sections of tenth class and Akanksha's group.

They all took respective buses and autos and reached the tourist spot, but since it was Sunday, immense crowd gathered near the ticket counter.

Viren and Ansh went to the ticket counter to purchase tickets for the group, while the group including boys and girls were at the pavement, gossiping and bullshitting about love lives and other people.

"I woke up at 5:00, due to my excitement for the trip" Tanya said in a drowsy state, red veins appeared in her cornea.

"Same, girl, same" Navya nudged Tanya's arm, blinking her eyes

Piyush was standing there silently, in a serious state, with arms folded.

"What happened Piyush, why do you look so mad, angry young man!" Pari teased him.

He just shook his head, as his expression softened under Tanya's gaze. Tanya put a perplexed face and looked away

Pari was aware of the thick tension floating in air, she cleared her throat to diffuse the awkward atmosphere.

By that time, Viren and Ansh returned with ten tickets, they went inside in two groups. Everyone immediately took out their phones and started clicking photos.

The foliage and greenery, embellished with pansies, chrysanthemum, red roses were like ornaments on the greenery. There was a large fountain, water flowing and coins tossed in fountain basin.

Tourists crowded the path, vendors and hawkers sold balloon, candy floss, popcorn, toys. Pari took out her phone and motioned the group to pose for group photo and then clicked a selfie.

Akanksha asked a random passerbye to click their group photograph. As they entered inside, several group of adults, senior citizens, teenagers, families spread their mats with tiffin boxes, water bottles, ludo, carrom boards on it. Some of them were playing dumbcharades, antakshri.