Chapter 13

Does it ever drive you crazy, Just how fast the night changes?

Ria stood in front of Rhys once again. She could've revealed her identity but she didn't as that would mean her brother would beg for her to stay only so that he could protect her. It would also mean a lot of politics with males she did not care or wish to see ever again but most importantly it would become almost impossible if not completely, to go to Dusk again. So, she kept herself hidden.

Besides, she was still angry at him and his foolishness. Why would he think trusting Tamlin was a good idea? That male had given her the red flags since the day she had met him. He was one of those people you stayed away from; always on neutral grounds.

"You are an enigma. You did not lie, yet your name did not appear on the list till you came near it. You have no wings, yet you flew out. You distracted me by putting on an illusion, much like someone else I had known could. You appear out of nowhere, make demands and bargains, and know details about how that day went. You say you hate me but your eyes hold none but plain betrayal."

Ria stayed silent.

"Very well. Azriel, take her. Maybe then she will be willing to talk about why she seems to know so much about that day. About why her powers resemble Princess Ria's."

"NO!" Ria shouted and tried running away but she was stopped by Rhys. His power barrelled into her, making her fly toward the wall. Again. "I am not lying!" she shouted, going for the window this time but Azriel had that covered.

Rhys laughed lowly from where he stood.

"What happened to you?" she wondered. "The Rhysand Princess Ria knew used to be kind and compassionate. He gave people a chance before putting the Spymaster and Shadowsinger on their tail. He was better and less cruel."

"Azriel," Rhys snarled and Ria was swept into shadows, tears falling down her face.

The answer was simple really, of why he was much like her father now and would be for a few more decades till he finally reconciled with his mistakes and his past. He had been betrayed. And oh, what that could do to a person.

Ria was swept once again into the shadows. Fuck. This was not good. "Please," she gasped, "let me go. I just wanted to see my home." Her eyesight cleared and she was back in the same prison.

"That could have been done, except you asked to see the House and then provoked the High Lord."

Ria had her reasons but she could not tell him. Instead, tears took over her. "What happened to him? He used to be different."

Knife to her throat. She hissed. Azriel, it seemed, would not be doing any talking anymore. Fine. Her fighting skills needed to be put to practice anyway. The door was only three feet away, and from there winnowing was possible.

"Let's dance, Shadowsinger," she smirked against the blade, even as blood tricked down for the second time in two days.

Ria panted. She had winnowed and evaded him successfully but not without a bruised ribcage, purple face and a swollen eye and bloodied neck. It was worth it though. And much like old times, it was fun, if you removed the part where Azriel was her enemy now.

Near the border, she summoned her powers. Her Night powers. Since she was already bleeding, she did not need to cut her palm. Dropping a few drops of blood, she whispered into the wind in a dialect long forgotten. Amren had ignited her interest in it and she had never been as glad as she was now.